Railroad Forums 

• Erie Main Line to be restored as light rail? Goshen, NY

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#875049  by TDowling

A recent edition of The Chronicle serving Goshen and Chester, NY mentioned the possibility of light rail service on the Erie Main Line, which was abandoned in the early 1980's. How feasible is this project, and would it impact significantly the towns through which the (former) ROW passes?

Moderator's Note: Topic renamed to reflect Erie Railroad Main Line, vs. any main line, 11/29/10
 #875129  by wigwagfan

Not exactly a "mainline", but Portland's MAX line between Beaverton and Hillsboro is built on the old Oregon Electric Railway, which was an electric interurban from the 1910s until the mid-1930s; then continued as a steam and later diesel freight line (the Oregon Electric was a subsidiary of the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway, itself owned by Great Northern and Northern Pacific) until the early 1990s (under Burlington Northern ownership). In fact from Hillsboro west to Forest Grove, the old OE is still used as a freight branch, now operated by Portland & Western.

A small portion of the eastside MAX line in Gresham was also part of the Portland Traction Company and after termination of the interurban services in the 1950s because a freight line (jointly owned by Union Pacific and Southern Pacific) until the 1980s.

And currently is a proposal to re-use the route from Portland to Lake Oswego as a Streetcar (light rail) line - this was one of the first railroads built out of Portland, originally as a narrow-gauge steam line in the 1870s, converted to standard gauge in the early 1900s by Southern Pacific, electrified between 1914-1929 as part of the Red Electric service, and continued as a freight line until the early 1980s. Today the route is used for a tourist trolley (powered by a towed diesel generator) but there are plans to electrify it and restore it as an extension of the Portland Streetcar route.

I believe several of Los Angeles' light rail lines are built on old Pacific Electric right-of-ways, many of which were used for dieselized freight services for decades after the wires were pulled down.
 #875583  by SemperFidelis

I know the old line pretty well from my buseinss and religious dealings in the area. I would think that the service would be well utilized, both by peak travellers meeting NY/Hoboken bound trains at Harriman and by off-peak travellers.

It is a damn shame they chose the low grade line over the route through the centers of the towns as I am certain many of the cars I see at Harriman are those of people who would otherwise have walked to their local station.

Speaking of excellent niche markets:

Many of the area's residents are Jews of the Orthodox or Hassidic sects. The Orthodox Jews and Hassidic Jews of the area are not, on a whole, particularly affluent and many of them walk to the places they work/visit/shop. I often times stop to pick up these kind (generally speaking) people, especially when it is hot and they are wearing the required clothing (very heavy).

Also, I know automobile use is forbidden on Shabbath but, my family being neither Orthodox nor Hassidic, I'm not sure if mass transit use is forbidden. If mass transit is allowed, then many will choose to ride rather than walk.

Genearlly speaking, Orthodox and Hassidic women do not have careers and "stay home" to raise their children. Often times when driving in an area like this one can see a young mother attempting to coral four or five little ones. I'm certain those mothers would enjoy convenient light rail.

Did the paper say anything of the proposed stops?