Railroad Forums 

• Upstate-NY HSR Plans Inch Ahead

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#813371  by lpetrich

New York State And CSX Reach High Speed Rail Agreement | Gov Monitor
Governor David A. Paterson announced that key agreements have been reached between the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) and CSX Transportation, Inc. (CSXT) to move forward with New York State’s high speed intercity passenger rail program.

The agreements, achieved between the parties, will establish a framework for progress to establishing high speed passenger rail in the State and will enable NYSDOT to move forward with the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on the Empire Corridor, which contains CSX’s busiest route carrying both passengers and freight between Albany and Buffalo.
Agreement reached on high-speed rail | Rochester Business Journal New York business news and information
State and federal agencies have reached an agreement with CSX Corp. Inc. that will allow a third track to be built in New York to accommodate high-speed rail, U.S. Rep. Louise Slaughter said Friday. ...

Negotiations between the state and CSX on a framework for the funding, design and construction of certain freight and passenger rail projects between Buffalo and Albany had stalled because of disagreements on issues such as the distance between freight and passenger train tracks, Slaughter said.
They are looking to get speeds up to 110 mph on parts of the 462-mile line from NYC to Niagara Falls. Amtrak trains currently take 9h 30m to make the trip, averaging at 49 mph.

I've found the 2009 NYS DOT State Rail Plan, though it did not say much about HSR plans other than that third track.

I've also found Congressman Paul Tonko : Press Releases : Double Tracking from Schenectady to Albany to Vastly Improve Trip Time about a $151 million award for doing improvements like double-tracking Albany - Schenectady, currently single-track. Albany - Buffalo is currently scheduled at 4h 55m, but the average trip time is 5h 44m. Near-term improvements: 4h 55m, long-term ones: 3h 42m. That distance is 296 mi, giving speeds 52 mph (actual), 60 mph (near term), 80 mph (long term).

I haven't found anything else that's recent, like when they expect to start constructing that second track of that 18-mi bottleneck.
 #813630  by jtr1962

It all sounds good on paper, but like the Second Avenue Subway, I'm not holding my breath waiting for any of this to happen. Even if it does, it's more like "medium-speed" than "high-speed". Hopefully the November elections will bring some semblance of decent government which might actually get projects like this done.
 #814651  by jstolberg

There have been no construction funds released yet. New York did get $1 million last month to start a $4.5 million Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement for the third track between Albany and Buffalo. The study, to be done by HNTB's New York City office, is expected to take 2 years to complete.
https://www.nysdot.gov/news/press-relea ... 2010-05-27

Hopefully, the second track from Rensselaer to Schenectady and the 11-mile passing track west of Rochester can begin before the corridor-wide EIS is complete.
 #843567  by eastwind

New High-Speed Rail Funding Requests Submitted

August 13, 2010
State Seeks $138.1 Million in Federal Grants for Rail Improvements
The grant applications submitted request:

Livingston Avenue Bridge - $2 million
Hudson Line Signal Improvements - $8 million
Albany-Rensselaer Station – 4th Track - $34.31 million
Schenectady Intermodal Station - $10.44 million
Niagara Falls International Railway Station and Intermodal Transportation Center - $19.47 million
Mohawk Valley: Empire Corridor Congestion Relief - $5.85 million
Syracuse: Empire Corridor Congestion Relief - $18.55 million
Niagara Falls High Speed Rail Inspection and Maintenance Facility - $2 million
Adirondack Corridor Service Reliability Initiative - $4.72 million
Poughkeepsie Rail Yard Congestion Project - $2.15 million
I hope they get at least the first four. These, plus the Albany-Schenectady double track (already funded), are desperately needed for better timekeeping on the busiest stretch of the route. Too bad they couldn't see far enough ahead when they rebuilt Albany-Rensselaer station not all that long ago.
 #845607  by morris&essex4ever

jtr1962 wrote:It all sounds good on paper, but like the Second Avenue Subway, I'm not holding my breath waiting for any of this to happen. Even if it does, it's more like "medium-speed" than "high-speed". Hopefully the November elections will bring some semblance of decent government which might actually get projects like this done.
Agreed I'll believe this when I see 150-220 mph trains running.