Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#836824  by NeoArashi

Since it's the only VIA Rail train that comes close to where I live (even then, I have to do at least 20 to 50 minutes of walking/5 to 30 minutes of bus (depending on where I the city I want to catch this one) I decided to ''tape'' this last wenseday, even if our city was on alert of Massive thunderstorm that day, in fact, the storm was subsiding while I taped this... My camera was soaked before I could take this shot... which is why the quality is crappy... it's a wonder the camera even works today, lol...

Anyways, this shot was taken right before the bridge that's right before the Gare du Palais. To be specific, about 300 meters away from the station. That's the safest ''legal'' spot that's close to the train station to take shots (as I was not allowed to use my camera inside the station) Also, after taking this shot, I was waiting for a bus... the buss stop was just accross the street I took this shot. So while waiting, I saw the same train going in reverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYYiWtFDOs here's the link to the video I made

ALSO, not so great pic I took of the engine... I'm pretty new with those engine stuff, so can somone tell me the type of engine this was?

#836850  by electricron

Locomotive 6416 is a F40PH-2 built by EMD. VIA rail has 53 F40PH-2 active locomotives today, numbered between 6400 to 6458. Through the years, 6 F40PH-2 locomotives have been retired for various reasons; 6447 wrecked in 1997 Biggar, SK derailment; 6423 was wrecked in 1999 in Chatham, ON collision; 6450 was wrecked at Miramichi, NB in 2000; 6400 was wrecked at St-Charles, QC in 2010; 6422 and 6430 have also been wrecked; all 6 locomotives were written off from the roster. Despite having been the prototype for the F40PH-2d rebuild program, 6400 will not be repaired.
 #836892  by Ken V

NeoArashi wrote:I'm pretty new with those engine stuff, so can somone tell me the type of engine this was?
Here's a bit more information on this particular unit. VIA F40PH-2 6416 was built in London Ontario in December 1986 by General Motors Diesel Division (just a nit-pick but the Canadian operation was known as GMDD rather than EMD, which was the U.S. (LaGrange IL) facility). In 2009 it was sent to CAD Railway Industries in Montreal for a complete rebuild and released in March 2010. You can find out more at http://www.myrailfan.com/collection/VIA ... _6416.aspx
electricron wrote:Despite having been the prototype for the F40PH-2d rebuild program, 6400 will not be repaired.
I assume you have this on good authority. I haven't seen anything official about the 6400 yet.
 #836985  by electricron

Ken V wrote:
electricron wrote:Despite having been the prototype for the F40PH-2d rebuild program, 6400 will not be repaired.
I assume you have this on good authority. I haven't seen anything official about the 6400 yet.
That's what I read at Wikipedia, I don't have any other sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Rail
I was hoping they were going to repair 6400.
 #837095  by viahogger

Like everything else on Wikipedia some caution has to be taken with the information that they give. While it is fairly accurate there are small errors and omissions.
For example 6423 was involved in collision at Thamesville not Chatham, and while Chatham is not to far away 'Thamesville' is the small community where the incident occurred.
Other information is incomplete. 6422 was involved in an collision with a dump truck on the Guelph sub near Acton and 6430 hit a flatbed truck near Bowmanville that got sandwiched
between it and a Westbound CN freight train. I have to this day not seen any official confirmation as to whether or not 6400 will be cut up. My guess by the amount of damage is yes
it will be scraped but on several occasions during meetings (Health and Safety and Policy meetings) when the topic of the 6400 came up I was told that it will be rebuilt after all other units
have run through the program. Whether or not that occurs who knows? time will tell. The last I had heard was the 6400 was being stripped of usable parts to be rebuilt or cut up who knows?

Terry Brennan

electricron wrote:
Ken V wrote:
 #837434  by timberley

electricron wrote:
Ken V wrote:
Funny thing about that...I have actually edited quite a bit of info on the VIA Rail wiki page, to try to keep it up to date and accurate. The line about 6400 was my edit. I had originally listed it as being wrecked and presumably going to be repaired, but after discussion on this forum and several other sources, I altered it to say it was not being repaired.

Two other reliable sources had said that there was confirmed frame damage, which is often a write-off for a locomotive. There had also been the note about it being stripped for parts, which has been the fate of other wrecked locomotives at VIA.

Having said that, I hope 6400 will be rebuilt. If it is still salvageable, I expect they will when they finish the others. The plan had been all along to rebuild 6400 again to the newer rebuild standards once the others were done, so we'll see.

*[despite my comments, I completely agree with the statement that wikipedia should not be relied upon as a source. Anyone can edit anything, which is both its selling point and its downfall. Remember, if any of you do have more concrete and authoritative information, especially if you have an available source to cite, please do edit incorrect information. That's what I have tried to do on the VIA Rail page, and elsewhere, but only where I consider myself to have sufficient information. Sometimes it doesn't take much. For example, the other day I corrected the page on the LRC, that had claimed it to hold the Canadian speed record (as opposed to the rightful holder, the Turbo)]
 #837662  by viahogger

Like I said the information is fairly accurate but as with everything in life nothing is perfect. However having said that thank you for keeping sites like Wiki as accurate as
possible, it's nice to know that somebody that knows railroading and has a genuine interest is editing such information. As for the 6400 there seems to be 2 different stories on
her, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Terry Brennan

Funny thing about that...I have actually edited quite a bit of info on the VIA Rail wiki page, to try to keep it up to date and accurate. The line about 6400 was my edit. I had originally listed it as being wrecked and presumably going to be repaired, but after discussion on this forum and several other sources, I altered it to say it was not being repaired. Two other reliable sources had said that there was confirmed frame damage, which is often a write-off for a locomotive. There had also been the note about it being stripped for parts, which has been the fate of other wrecked locomotives at VIA. Having said that, I hope 6400 will be rebuilt. If it is still salvageable, I expect they will when they finish the others. The plan had been all along to rebuild 6400 again to the newer rebuild standards once the others were done, so we'll see. despite my comments, I completely agree with the statement that wikipedia should not be relied upon as a source. Anyone can edit anything, which is both its selling point and its downfall. Remember, if any of you do have more concrete and authoritative information, especially if you have an available source to cite, please do edit incorrect information. That's what I have tried to do on the VIA Rail page, and elsewhere, but only where I consider myself to have sufficient information. Sometimes it doesn't take much. For example, the other day I corrected the page on the LRC, that had claimed it to hold the Canadian speed record (as opposed to the rightful holder, the Turbo)
 #837802  by timberley

viahogger wrote:Like I said the information is fairly accurate but as with everything in life nothing is perfect. However having said that thank you for keeping sites like Wiki as accurate as
possible, it's nice to know that somebody that knows railroading and has a genuine interest is editing such information. As for the 6400 there seems to be 2 different stories on
her, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.
Terry Brennan
Thanks Terry. I had for a long time been irked by the insufficient, out-of-date, or blatantly inaccurate information on many wiki pages, so I finally decided to edit some I felt I could do justice to. Since this discussion, I have re-edited the VIA Rail page to read "It is yet unknown if 6400 will be rebuilt following the rebuilding of the rest of the fleet, or if the damage it sustained is sufficient for it to be scrapped." I think that more accurately describes the current state of affairs.

Back to the OP, NeoArashi, you sound like a true railfan! Anyone who would set out trackside despite a severe storm is the kind of person I'd like to railfan with! :P Nice catch of the rebuilt F40 with LRCs.
 #838305  by viahogger

Yesterday I attended a health and safety meeting and I asked my fellow employee who had recently attended a policy meeting in Montreal and according to what he was told by the
people responsible for 6400 she will be cut up :( She will be striped of parts and scraped. He seemed to have it on good authority. A manager who was also present at yesterday's meeting had
heard the same story I was told that she would be rebuilt after all other units were done. Could have been the story then and Via was waiting for a more thorough inspection of the frame? Dont
know but I had hoped that she would have survived. I know many companies including Via have a problem of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, but Im more inclined to
believe this information correct unfortunately.

Thanks Terry. I had for a long time been irked by the insufficient, out-of-date, or blatantly inaccurate information on many wiki pages, so I finally decided to edit some I felt I could do justice to. Since this discussion, I have re-edited the VIA Rail page to read "It is yet unknown if 6400 will be rebuilt following the rebuilding of the rest of the fleet, or if the damage it sustained is sufficient for it to be scrapped." I think that more accurately describes the current state of affairs.