Railroad Forums 

• Hilton Waikaloa Village - monorail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#790532  by clburton

Yes, in Hawaii there is a hotel so big there is a tram that connects all of the buildings. It is at the Hilton Waikaloa Village on the Big Island of Hawaii. If anyone has any information about this tram please pst it here.
 #792818  by jtbell

I've seen glimpses of it on (of all places) the "Wheel of Fortune" TV show. They once taped a week's worth of shows at Hilton Waikoloa Village, interspersed with scenes of the facilities.

Here's a picture of it from Webshots.

Go to http://maps.google.com, search for "Hilton Waikoloa Village", zoom in, switch to satellite view, and you can see the trackway.
 #795535  by Nasadowsk

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm not sure this falls into the "commuter, light rail, or transit" category. This seems more like novelty than anything else.
It pretty much *is*, though it has single track running, a signal system, and turnouts, AND 'street' running and a maintenance shop. IIRC, it was built by VonRoll, no stranger to the rail industry. Nor is it an amazingly long system. I think it was going to be expanded once but never was. It's a bit silly, but whatever.

BTW, the airport in Kona is cute as heck. It's international, too amazingly. There's rail stations in NJ that are more involved than it..
 #797779  by Buffalobill

People Mover!>>> are sorta in there own catergory---More along the line of Transit--Used mostly in Airports They have to have fans out there along the lines of the Monorail society. The Islands have 2 other short line railroads one is being used for short steam escusion around a golf course and the other one was used by the Navy.
 #828497  by ex Budd man

My wife and I stayed there. We rode this in 2006 while celebrating our 35th anniversary. Great hotel, cute little tram. There is even a boat that takes you from building to building.