Railroad Forums 

• Steamtown & DL

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#8110  by bwparker1

I am going to Steamtown this Saturday for a birthday, my wife actually planned it which is a shock because she wants nothing to do with railroads. I know that there are no excursions right now, but I was wondering what Class one and shortline action one might find on a Saturday. Any help is appreciated. There seem to be some knowledgable Scranton folks here.

Thanks

Brooks

#8179  by metman499

The DL ussually calls two or three crews on saturdays. There is the possibility of a grain train off the CP/DH. You can also take pictures down by the DL shop if you don't wander around too much. Make the first right after the old DL&W station as you head towards Steamtown. Bear right at a fork and continue on until the Lackawanna County Recycling sign and make a right. This is at the base of a hill. The light here is not very good in the afternoon and I don't advise trying to cross the tracks for better lighting. Better to go in the morning.
As for the CP if you go past the Steamtown driveway on Lack. Ave and make a left onto Main street you will eventually hit Taylor Yard. There will be a sign for an NS Intermodal yard there on the left. If you turn in but don't go in passed some parked cars on the right you will be fine. Usually see two gp-38s there.