Railroad Forums 

• Autoracks for high-speed trains?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#767412  by Nasadowsk

A few things to think of though:

1) Realistically, single level loading is the obvious choice.
2) I suspect that being what ammounts to a 'freight' car, they don't need to meet FRA.
3) The carbody of a well-optimized design isn't bad - the Pioneer IIIs in unpowered form where 52,000 lbs
4) But a car carrier has no air conditioning, seats, PA system, toilets, etc. Tha'ts a LOT of weight. Ditiching windows helps too.

Could a viewliner-sized autorack be built? Likely. It's the form factor I'd study. And if you keep the weight with cars in the sub 100,000 lb area, then going 100+ isn't a big issue, though on the NEC, you'd likely need two motors to do the trick. Diesel? Forget it.
 #768193  by neroden

george matthews wrote:Here is a picture of one of the car shuttles.
http://www.angelfire.com/mac/egmatthews ... atform.jpg
Picture not work.
I doubt if these shuttle carriages could run on any other line.

They certainly need very custom, very expensive platforms.
They also need extremely well maintained track.
Yeah. $$$$$. There's probably no suitably maintained line which is also suitably gauged.

There *could* be in the future, of course. Probably in China.
 #768490  by goodnightjohnwayne

Just to clear up the confusion, the practical height limitation for double level autoracks would seem to be about 19 feet on both sides of the Atlantic. Amtrak placed an order for double levels for the Autotrain at a time when the car companies were shifting to higher, maximum Plate H triple level autocarriers. I don't know if it was because there was a 19 foot height restriction on the Autotrain route or if the economics of a triple level aren't suitable to the Autotrain?

The bottom line is that the 19 foot figure seems to be the last word, unless you're talking about a single level flat car, in which case the capacity is very limited. Another factor precluding a lower height double level autorack is the fact that all North American car carriers have to be covered and almost completely enclosed due to the obvious vandalism issues.
 #768585  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:still doesnt work George .
I don't know why. It worked when I posted it. It also works when I load it directly from angelfire. I used to have it on an aol page and then they closed down their web space. My Angelfire space is getting a bit full up. I need to find another space for it. It was part of a little photo-essay on how to travel on the Shuttle.
 #769103  by David Benton

i wonder what the idea of the semi open sides on the truck carriers is ??? Aerodynamically it makes no sense at all , also the pointed out fire containment issue .
the only think i can think of would be to make it easier to see trespassers .