Railroad Forums 

• British Rail "Limpet"

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#760112  by Maury Markowitz

I was wondering if anyone might point me in the direction of any information on British Rail's work with Eric Laithwaite's linear induction motors in the 1960s. One reference I have found suggests the project was known as "Limpet".

This work would be taking place during the same period that their Derby teams were working on the "hunting" problem, work that would later emerge as the Advanced Passenger Train. As I understand it, when this effort was clearly going to work out, work on Limpet was ended, and Laithwaite moved over to the Tracked Hovercraft effort.

I am trying to patch up the entire history of the APT story on the Wikipedia, which is currently in a sorry state. I'm actually working my way towards the APT by covering in all the related topics first... the Tracked Hovercraft article was on the front page and generated almost 10000 hits in one day.

Maury