Railroad Forums 

• Oldest transit vehicles?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#752534  by jonnhrr

I was thinking that with 1 exception the PCC's running on the Mattapan Ashmont line are now the oldest transit vehicles running in the US (probably North America unless Toronto still has some PCC's left). (The exception being the Perley Thomas cars running in New Orleans). This does not count historic lines such as in San Fransisco, Little Rock, etc.

I believe the Mattapan PCC's being built in 1945 are older than the PCC-II's in Philly which I believe were built in 1947?

Jon
 #752644  by atsf sp

Little Rock is not old trolleys. They were recently built by Gomaco. Toronto does not have anymore PCCs. The Mckinney Avenue in Dallas has some old cars. Their # 186 was built in 1913 and is used daily.
 #752655  by MBTA3247

atsf sp wrote:Little Rock is not old trolleys. They were recently built by Gomaco. Toronto does not have anymore PCCs. The Mckinney Avenue in Dallas has some old cars. Their # 186 was built in 1913 and is used daily.
Looking at their website, #122 is older (1909). However, wouldn't this qualify as a historic line?
 #752661  by 3rdrail

This is supposedly the oldest trolley in North America in revenue service. It is San Francisco Muni's Number 578, a Type G originally acquired from United Railroads of San Francisco. 578 is a wooden car that was passed down as various companies took over electric operation in San Francisco and eventually wound up as Market Street Railway Co. Sand Car Number 0601. In the '50's, Muni restored the car as a Market Street Railway Co. Type G once again, Number 578. The Type G's were manufactured by Hammond during 1895-1898, seats 26, weighs 20,300 lbs., and is 26' 10" long. It still regularly takes fares in SF.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... 006-07.jpg
 #752677  by Ken V

atsf sp wrote:Toronto does not have anymore PCCs.
Not quite true. The Toronto Transit Commission does have two PCC vehicles still on its roster. Although not in regular service, they do show up from time to time for chartered trips and various special occasions, such as the reopening of the St. Clair Ave. streetcar line about a week ago:
 #752700  by jwhite07

I've had the opportunity to ride both of the pictured cars over the years... Muni 578 only once, but TTC 4549 (and sister 4500) numerous times.

For the record, TTC 4500 and 4549 both were built in 1951, making them a bit younger than Boston's remaining PCCs. They were both operated in regular service on weekends on the Harbourfront Line within the past year (hence the rollsign - which is not a rollsign at all but a sticker applied to the glass... the rollsigns themselves were removed from the cars).
 #752807  by 3rdrail

Also, as the title of this thread implies, the oldest transit vehicles still in revenue service, probably has the prize once again going to San Francisco. The Powell Street Cable Cars built by Mahoney in 1887 (#'s 522 - 527 - 532 - 534) still carry carloads up and down Nob Hill to this very day. (Pictured below is Mahoney #28, which also wore # 501 and #544. Visible is it's original "Bombay" style roof. She's been retired now for a few years and may be converted into an open car by Muni shop personnel. The Bombay roof is a work of exquisite craftmanship and will be salvaged for use on another car.)

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... 006-01.jpg
 #753103  by jonnhrr

Forgot about cable cars :( Maybe have to say oldest electric powered transit vehicles? Of course New Orleans still holds that.

Jon