Railroad Forums 

• Having trouble understanding how to use noise reduction

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#738471  by njtmnrrbuff

Hello All,
I, the owner of a D70 camera, am having issues using the noise reduction. Here is one shot, I think that I used it, in which gave me trouble.
If lets say I want to shoot moving trains, and get very good quality shots, what are the critical things I should understand about noise reduction feature.

The D70's lowest ISO is 200, so on bright days. I probably have gotten quite a bit of noise in various shots.
Thank you for the help.
Attachments:
DSC_0415.jpg
DSC_0415.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 4914 times
 #738692  by EMTRailfan

That acually looks more like a motion blur problem combined with a hazey day to give you the flat colors. I don't have the plug ins to snag your EXIF data. What was your shutter speed for this one, and what are the train speeds like through this area? I'm not seeing the noise as in the pics in the other thread.
 #738695  by RailBus63

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Hello All,
The D70's lowest ISO is 200, so on bright days. I probably have gotten quite a bit of noise in various shots.
ISO 200 for digital is not the same at all as the same ISO number would be for film. I have a Nikon D40 and I can get perfectly sharp photos at 200.

What lens did you use for this photo?
 #738748  by JhnZ33

EMTRailfan wrote:That acually looks more like a motion blur problem combined with a hazey day to give you the flat colors. I don't have the plug ins to snag your EXIF data. What was your shutter speed for this one, and what are the train speeds like through this area? I'm not seeing the noise as in the pics in the other thread.
If you save the photo to your computer, then right click > properties > Summary > advanced, you'll probably find all the info you need on the photo.

From what I can see, the contrast is a little low and the black levels a bit raised. Low contrast tends to make the percieved sharpness lower.

Below is a quick run through Photoshop with nothing more than "auto color" and slight "Unsharp Mask" done to the original.

JP
Attachments:
DSC_0415a.jpg
DSC_0415a.jpg (215.5 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
 #739114  by JhnZ33

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:In the future, I think I will use photoshop. Thank you for the edit, EMT.
If you don't have Photoshop, there are other programs out there that will accomplish the same task cheaper or free. Gimp is a good program to look at.

John
 #739311  by EMTRailfan

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Shutter speed was 1/200 of a second, and the speed limit on this stretch of track, I think is 65. I think I used an 18-70mm lens. In the future, I think I will use photoshop. Thank you for the edit, EMT.
I didn't do the edit, but for speeds like 65MPH, you may want to speed up to 1/400 or so. 1/200 would prob. be OK for a 30-40 MPH regional line.
 #739313  by EMTRailfan

JhnZ33 wrote:If you save the photo to your computer, then right click > properties > Summary > advanced, you'll probably find all the info you need on the photo.
JP
I'll be dang! You learn something new every day. Thanks for the info.
 #742108  by Cadguru

just wanted to answer the OP's noise reduction.
If you use a program like noise ninja, it allows you to select an area with noise in it.
From there you can use their preloaded profiles based on your camera and iso settings and choose a black area.
It will then reduce the amount of noise in the image.
With the lighting conditions you had, noise wouldn't be an issue.
 #745117  by Montrealrail

You have to pay attention on the ISO rate..

I use to do on 100 ISO and 1/250 sec exposure and I get some great results..
Depending of the camera quality and performance,that can change from a camera to an other..
Here some good examples..

Exposure 1/200 sec ISO 400

Then.. Exposure 1/250 and ISO 200

And now,same exposure,but at ISO 100

More the ISO is high,more you get chance to have noise in the pic..
May be this problem should the with argentics too(35 mm) but in granules.
With numeraic,we have the possibility to correct the picture before to show it,with argentic,that was not possible..

But by using photoshop or GIMP,the freeware equivalent,you should be able to take of the noises..

I searched a little while,before to understant this detail...
 #748292  by Montrealrail

On that situation,you should have some try with the time exposure,most of the time,we can have some good results by a little less exposure,and you can have an eye on the brecketting (ev) sometime,you can have surprise,also,on day time,select your white balancing by the environment,using the automatic option can be worst or better,depending of the environment conditions..by selecting manualy on sunny if it's a sunny day,or cloudy if it's cloudy or raning,and tungstene or incandescents,if you inside or on the night..
 #748768  by RailBus63

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Thank you for the help everyone. Unfortunately, my D70's lowest ISO is 200, and it is on that at ALL TIMES. Unfortunately, on bright days, I have gotten noise to some extent. I'm looking to change from Picasa to Photoshop elements soon.
It may be the fact that the D70 is an older camera. I have no real issues with my D40 which also has a minimum ISO of 200. The automatic metering and white balance functions work very well and noise is not an issue even when shooting in bright sunlight.
 #748954  by Chessie GM50

RailBus63 wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Thank you for the help everyone. Unfortunately, my D70's lowest ISO is 200, and it is on that at ALL TIMES. Unfortunately, on bright days, I have gotten noise to some extent. I'm looking to change from Picasa to Photoshop elements soon.
It may be the fact that the D70 is an older camera. I have no real issues with my D40 which also has a minimum ISO of 200. The automatic metering and white balance functions work very well and noise is not an issue even when shooting in bright sunlight.
It may not be because the D70 is 2004 technology. I don't get much of any noise up until around 1600 with a Nikon D2H, which is actually older than the Aformentioned camera.

But anyway, on NR. It is something great in certain circumstances, but in others not so great. What NR does is it smudges the noise into the texture, which gets rid of noise pretty well... but also can kill the texture if overdone, making the picture bear a resemblance to a cartoon.