Railroad Forums 

• train yards around new haven

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#72930  by anthony.acock

Hello,

I'm new to railroad.net, and new to connecticut as well. I am looking for active train yards, preferably freight trains, but passenger trains are ok as well. I'm a proffesional photographer, and am looking for a place to take pictures of trains.

best regards,

anthony acock

#73031  by krispy

Welcome to the area, but first a note of caution - due to the attack several years ago, the atmosphere towards folks taking pics of trains has changed dramatically. I don't know where you're from, but in the northeast things are changed for the worse for railfans taking pics. It doesn't matter if you're on public property or not taking that pic, rail employees are compelled to turn you in, all law enforcement are compelled to check you out, and depending where you are, turn you away. Please don't take it personally, and don't try to argue with them either. There are a lot of spots around NH to take pics, hopefully someone can point out the safe ones. My personal favorites are in parks adjoining railroads, an example is the old trolley r.o.w. from East Branford into Stony Creek, you get glimpses of the Shoreline and BSR. Pay a visit to the trolley museum in E. Haven, you'll meet lots of retirees and folks who can give you the scoop on the area.

There are indeed several yards in and around NH, but do to an annoying TV news crew incident in Bridgeport several months ago, you will be talking to a cop fairly quickly if you're too close. Ask around, and you'll find out the new spots...

#73073  by shadyjay

Plenty of areas around to photograph the trains, and most are from spaces open to the public. Views can be had of various equipment (not so much freight though) from the New Haven-Union Station platforms. Another spot is about 2 miles north from State Street platforms. Cedar Hill in North Haven is a large CSX/CT Southern/P&W freight yard which can be viewed from the area around Universal Drive in North Haven (near Circuit City and Home Depot). Any commuter platform between Stamford and New Haven is also good - you'll be treated to a ton of passenger traffic in a short amount of time, and an occasional freight.

I've never had any problem taking pictures from any of these areas. And that has even been in the post 9/11 world. One engineer joked with me at Stamford and said that he wanted copies of my pictures for himself :-D

As long as you're in public areas and don't trespass or go where you're not supposed to, you'll be fine. If you're into historic equipment, check out the various railroad museums/tourist operations in the area: the Naugatuck Railroad in Thomaston, Valley Railroad/Essex Steam Train in Essex, Connecticut Eastern RR Museum in Willimantic, or the Danbury Railway Museum in Danbury.

As for big time freight activity, there isn't much in Connecticut, not like in our neighboring states.

Hope this helps!

-Jay Hogan

#73079  by njtmnrrbuff

In Connecticut, there are many places to photograph, especially NH itself. Try taking a ride on one of the diesel branches because they are very scenic especially the Waterbury. I don't think any cab units are in revenue service.

#73142  by anthony.acock

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. I did know about the layups behind home depot/target area. Those are really nice, although the home depot employees thought i was a bit odd, no one seemed to bother me. i also saw that exact news coverage you mentioned about the 'exposed dangers in ct train yards' as soon as i saw thought i knew it would become increasingly difficult to take photos or explore areas around trains. so far however, people have been really nice, they ask what i'm doing, i tell them i'm a nerd and i'm taking picutres, they tell me to leave, not problem.

I also noticed that just down from the new haven union station, there are usually quite a few mta trains laid up almost under the over pass, those are really nice, there is a construction site there that allows you to get relativlely close to the trains, and again, as long as your not disturbing anyone, they generally tend to leave you alone.

any other suggestions?
you guys are great

best regards
anthony