Railroad Forums 

• CTA subway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#69069  by NJTRailfan

Why does CTA only have trains at a max length of 6 or 8 cars long when a city like NYC has theirs at 10. Also I noticed by a certain time the CTA only has 4 or even 2 car trains running. very rare during off peak times will you find a 6 car train. Also does the CTA paln on expadign any lines towards the sights liek the Hancock or even the Muesum of Science and Industry, Shed Aquarium,etc? Most of the tiem while I was sightseeing around Chicago I noticed I had to take the cabs 98% of the time because the subway stations were too far of a walk (5-10 blocks) and the buses would be to slow and you'd have to make transfers to another lien if you were to go from the Hancock to the Museum of Science and Industry.

Thanks. hopefully Mayor richard Daley will have the present liens expanded because as it stands it's good if yo uhave to go to ORD or Midway or some areas around or outisde downtown area but is very bad for those wishing to travel within the city and forces tourists and commuters to use buses and cabs.

#69171  by MikeF

Your question belongs in the CTA forum, but I'll answer here.

CTA trains are limited to eight cars because of the length of the platforms. At this time, traffic does not warrant lengthening the platforms to accomodate 10-car trains. The shorter trains during off-peak periods are for the same reason -- not enough riders to justify more cars.

As for extending rail routes to tourist attractions, it's simply not necessary. You mention that the current routes "force tourists and commuters to use buses" ... well, that's the way it's supposed to work. The rail routes provide service over longer distances, while the bus routes provide local service to and from the rail routes. And for most people, a five-block walk is not excessive.

#69286  by NCSRider

Few quick thoughts:

1. MikeF is right that platform sizes limit the number of cars. Note that Brown line trains have a maximum of 6 cars because Brown line patforms are even shorter. Plans have been in place for some time to extend Brown line platforms to accomodate 8-car trains.

2. Not to be a smart alec, but actually I think the El/Subway is useful to tourists because most tourists arrive in our fair city by plane. The Blue line and Orange line are right there for tourists to use.

3. Lastly, "da mayor" and the CTA have floated plans for a Silver line and a "Circle" line in the past few years, which would be a significant expansion. You can see some details here: http://www.chicago-l.org/articles/CircleLine.html

These questions might be good for the CTA board - folks that hang out there can probably give you better perspective than me.

#72376  by Tadman

Guys the CTA is bigtime out of money. I wouldn't count on any new service anytime soon. For kicks I rode the green line last weekend and although the stations and track are nice, those old Boeing 2200 series cars are seriously broke-ass junk. It was depressing riding those filthy cars in a two car train when my brown trains are 4-6 car 3200's with a little less grime.