Railroad Forums 

• 0-6-0 in Cooperstown?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#619952  by march hare

The 0-6-0 definietely DID operate as an oil burner out of Cooperstown.

Summer of 1972 (July, methinks) the Mohawk and Hudson Chapter of the NRHS visited for a day. Power for the day train (Coop'town to Milford and return) was the steamer, and I remember numerous, uncharitable comments about the aesthetics of the conversion--the oil tank stuck out above the top of the tender, which several fans though was unattractive. At some angles, you could actually see the oil burner (looked like a home heating unit) from trackside.

Power for the evening train (a dinner run all the way down to the junction) was an RS3, lettered C&CV but still painted in D&H paint. Decent meal, still recall the strong garlic cheese dip fondly.
 #619990  by ricebrianrice

So was she parked due to a major failure, or in need of heavy maintenance?

Any idea when the last run was? (Maybe the one March Hare mentioned?)
 #646744  by Al Holleuffer

Delaware-Otsego 0-6-0 No. 2 was originally U. S. Army 4038 then Virginia Blue Ridge Railway No. 8. At some point Walter Rich contacted the Morris County Central RR, owner of sister engine 4039, ex-VBR No. 5, about the oil burner system we employed. MCCRR Vice President Bob Sutton, now deceased, had designed it for the MCCRR and built an almost identicle system for the D-O. It is essentially an industrial oil burner requiring an electrically-driven oil pump to supply the fuel. A 110-volt motor is used for firing up then a 32-volt motor supplied by the locomotive's turbogenerator runs the pump after steam is raised.

Al Holleuffer
 #688876  by NaDspr

The # 2 was moved from Milford, NY to its current resting spot in Cooperstown on April 18, 1989. It was taken there by a Rahway Valley 70 tonner engine.
 #689839  by Cactus Jack

Thanks for the date !
I still recall climbing up the feed mill elevator and shooting you headed off to Cooperstown !

Not sure why I didn't follow you up, must have been dirty and tired and headed for home.

Good memories.... at least looking back on them !
 #701392  by Noel Weaver

This is an interesting development. I remember riding that engine up and down the line with Charlie Blazer back in the early
70's when the line was in its earliest days of DO ownership. I spent as much spare time in Cooperstown helping out as I could
during the start up period. I also remember the D & H Alco when it first came on the scene.
I wonder where this locomotive will end up?
Noel Weaver
 #722399  by Mark Wengert

The 0-6-0 #2 is gone! Today I was in Cooperstown for a doctors appt. and notice two large cranes. After rushing from the hospital I came upon the tender being flown through the air and set upon a lowboy bowned for Maryland at about 11:15am. After hours of moving cranes, LONG trucks, blocks, and cables the locomotive was set down onto the streched lowboy at 4:30pm. Do to wet weather, a paitient wife, and an under the weather 2 yr old, we headed home. The trailer had yet to pull back off the track. From my angle it looked as if it was going to drag hard over the rails. The truck driver had a broken foot with a cast on and must have been in pain from all that clutching. I was unperpared with out my camera but was promissed to be emailed a few pics that I will pass along if none are posted in the meanwhile. Atleast it is not going to be cut up. I was told the owner of the trucking company is the one who bought it and has a small collection of railroad equipment. Good by #2.
 #722705  by Mark Wengert

I was wondering if anyone had a picture of the #2 being pushed to the station by the rahway valley engine that they would be willing to to email to me. I would like to put a picture of it coming and going in my scrap book. thanks. Mark