Railroad Forums 

• Hitachi Super Express for UK Railways

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#672534  by kaitoku

Chafford1 wrote:For those who are interested, there's a technical data sheet for the new trains at:

http://www.agilitytrains.com/assets/pdf ... ed-1_5.pdf

'Self-powered' versions have hybrid diesel power units at each end of the train.

'Bi-mode' versions have a hybrid diesel power unit at one end of the train and a transformer/pantograph car at the other
There is a bit more information about the hybrid diesel and a simple schematic diagram of the power system in this pdf file (starting around page 15):

http://www.jbce.org/files/hitachipresentation.pdf

The Railway Magazine (April 2009, p.7) says MTU would be the front-runner to power this unit, presumably with a 20 cylinder 4000hp engine in order to meet performance parameters.
 #673476  by Chafford1

There should be an announcement in the summer to electrify two of the UK's main lines - the Great Western and Midland. That being the case, I would expect a larger order for the electric version.
 #708817  by #5 - Dyre Ave

These trains would be perfect for the Northeast Corridor here in the States. You could have through-train service from Springfield and Hartford to Washington, DC, without having to change locomotives at New Haven. No need for shuttle trains. You could also have trains continuing south of Washington without having to change locomotives in Union Station. Amtrak should take a serious look at running train similar to this one on the Corridor.
 #709021  by george matthews

#5 - Dyre Ave wrote:These trains would be perfect for the Northeast Corridor here in the States. You could have through-train service from Springfield and Hartford to Washington, DC, without having to change locomotives at New Haven. No need for shuttle trains. You could also have trains continuing south of Washington without having to change locomotives in Union Station. Amtrak should take a serious look at running train similar to this one on the Corridor.
The Hitachi trains can use the Southern third Rail system as well as the Overhead system. This is so they can run off the High speed line to other destinations, such as Dover.

They are not diesel.

In Europe few passenger trains use locomotives but it seems that in the US almost no passenger trains can run without a locomotive. If you had an electro-diesel multiple unit train you could cover the Springfield branch until it is electrified.
Maybe that would be a solution to certain non-electrified Long Island trains also.
 #714050  by #5 - Dyre Ave

george matthews wrote: The Hitachi trains can use the Southern third Rail system as well as the Overhead system. This is so they can run off the High speed line to other destinations, such as Dover.

They are not diesel.

In Europe few passenger trains use locomotives but it seems that in the US almost no passenger trains can run without a locomotive. If you had an electro-diesel multiple unit train you could cover the Springfield branch until it is electrified.
Maybe that would be a solution to certain non-electrified Long Island trains also.
There was the Flexliner, made by ABB then ADtranz. But ADtranz was acquired by Bombardier and they don't show the Flexliner on their website. There were both diesel and electric versions and they could operate together. That, too, would have been perfect for Amtrak service to Hartford/Springfield and south of Washington. Bombardier does make the AGC train which is a dual-mode train that runs in France, but it's a low-floor train and it may not be possible to certify it for mainline U.S. railroads like Amtrak or LIRR.

I thought Hitachi was planning to build a dual-mode (bi-mode) train that could run off overhead wires and diesel power. Did I misread something here? I stand by what I said in that such a train would be perfect for Amtrak's Northeast Corridor so trains can operate through to Hartford/Springfield and south of Washington without changing power.
 #714125  by george matthews

I thought Hitachi was planning to build a dual-mode (bi-mode) train that could run off overhead wires and diesel power. Did I misread something here? I stand by what I said in that such a train would be perfect for Amtrak's Northeast Corridor so trains can operate through to Hartford/Springfield and south of Washington without changing power.
The government has specified a new fleet of high speed trains which will have three power systems. Some will be all electric. These will run on the west and east coast mainlines. Some may be diesel (but possibly this type will be dropped). They would run on lines not likely to be electrified. However, now that the Great Western is scheduled for electrification these diesel-only sets may not be needed.
A mixed diesel and electric version is also required. These would be used on such lines as the East Coast, beyond Edinburgh, and Great Western beyond Bristol to the south west.
I am not sure if Hitachi is the only bidder.