Railroad Forums 

• Engine 501 on the River LINE

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#708487  by airman00

Now that #502 is at the river line, has it taken over for the juniata switcher yet? And did NJT give it a caboose?
 #709115  by Kaback9

The caboose in PRR colors is still there I posted some photos in the NJT Rail thread about the unit but I'll post them here for anyone who does not venture over there.

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1723200

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1723201

http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1723194
 #778396  by airman00

Does anyone have an update on how #502 is doing? It's been down on the river line for awhile now. Just curious. Perhaps any new photos or videos of it in service?
 #778398  by Kaback9

Last I saw it was after the storm around FEB 10th it looked as if it had not moved in sometime from the amount of snow on it compared to the JT switcher down there.
 #778402  by airman00

Kaback9 wrote:Last I saw it was after the storm around FEB 10th it looked as if it had not moved in sometime from the amount of snow on it compared to the JT switcher down there.
Well, at least it's still in service. :-)
 #778437  by chuchubob

airman00 wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Last I saw it was after the storm around FEB 10th it looked as if it had not moved in sometime from the amount of snow on it compared to the JT switcher down there.
502 is out of service, and has been for quite some time. There's a reason that 502 hasn't moved in months.
 #778482  by airman00

chuchubob wrote:
airman00 wrote:
502 is out of service, and has been for quite some time. There's a reason that 502 hasn't moved in months.
Forgive me please, but I don't get it. #502 was fixed/repaired at the MMC so that it could be the "new" river line work engine. Why would they give her a working over at the maintenence shop and then send her on like a 5 day trip to get down to the river line, just to have her sit? I read that the juniata switcher was on lease to NJT, and why lease an SW1500 when you still have one of your own sitting around doing nothing? Hence put #502 back in service and save the need to lease a switcher.
 #778486  by airman00

one other thing, it is hooked up to the caboose, so does that mean anything? By the way, nice pictures!
 #778516  by Steve F45

was just thinking that switcher would probably look good painted with the new disco stripe seen on the MPI builds and 2 GP's that were recently rebuilt.
 #779448  by airman00

anyone else have info on #502's current status? Why she's sitting again after being fixed up?
 #779716  by chuchubob

airman00 wrote:anyone else have info on #502's current status? Why she's sitting again after being fixed up?
A month ago I was told by an insider that it had a part that needed replacing. In my senility, I don't remember which part it is, but it is a part that the switcher needs in order to move under its own power.
 #788036  by airman00

I know the #502 is out of service right now, due to repair work needed. Why not just bring it into the shop. I saw a photo where the river line had a shop. I assume it might just be for river line cars, but then the photo had the juniata switcher right in front of the shop, so I thought that maybe other engines could get work there too?

Even if I'm wrong about the river line shop, I'm sure something can be done for 502.
 #788837  by TREnecNYP

chuchubob wrote:
airman00 wrote:anyone else have info on #502's current status? Why she's sitting again after being fixed up?
A month ago I was told by an insider that it had a part that needed replacing. In my senility, I don't remember which part it is, but it is a part that the switcher needs in order to move under its own power.
Was it an electrical or mechanical sounding part? These things will last forevar as long as they are properly looked after. Hope to hear it returned to service soon.

- A
 #788854  by chuchubob

airman00 wrote:I know the #502 is out of service right now, due to repair work needed. Why not just bring it into the shop. I saw a photo where the river line had a shop. I assume it might just be for river line cars, but then the photo had the juniata switcher right in front of the shop, so I thought that maybe other engines could get work there too?

Even if I'm wrong about the river line shop, I'm sure something can be done for 502.
All work on the Juniata SW1500 is done by the owner and his crew; for example the 92 day inspection in January.
Work on 502 is MMC's responsibility; if done in Camden, it would be done by a contractor hired by NJT.