Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#69712  by NJTRailfan

If VIA were to phase out the herritage cars in 10-15 year what do you think they might go for? Would it be superliners or a single level fleet manufactured by bombardier or soem company in Europe?

#69759  by Ken V

Interesting question. If and when VIA decides to replace the Budd stainless steel transcontinental fleet, what is chosen would depend a lot on cost and what is available.

VIA was interested in purchasing new Superliners back in the early 80's before deciding to rebuild the current fleet (plus some ex-US Budd cars) instead. The new Renaissance cars purchased in 2000 from Alstom that were originally built for the cancelled Nightstar UK & European serivce was a too-good-to-be-true opportunity that likely won't be repeated. There are still about 30 of these cars in storage yet to be completed. Recently VIA also picked up a small number of used dome cars and lounge cars from the defunct BC Rail passenger operations.

Next time, who knows? It could be more used equipment, either as-is or to be rebuilt, or something built new. I think Bombardier would be the odds-on favourite for either new or rebuilt cars.

#69870  by NJTRailfan

Thanks for the tip. how many cars did VIA pick up? did they pick up any RDC Budd cars as well?

This will sound like I've been under a rock but I'am shocked to hear the BC is no longer doing passenger ops. When did this happen?

#69878  by missthealcos

There were 78 US Budd built cars purchased 1987-1993, most were rebuilt, some are still stored, including several dome cars.. Then the 139 Nightstar cars, 4 BC Rail cars....5 RDC's have recently been rebuilt. BC Rail dropped all passenger service on Dec 31, 2002. A massive shame.

#69991  by Ken V

missthealcos wrote:5 RDC's have recently been rebuilt.
To be clear...VIA did not obtain any of BC Rail's RDC's - VIA's rebuilts were from their own set. Some of BC Rail's RDC's were sold to a tour operator in the northwest US.

#70127  by NJTRailfan

Too bad NJT wouldn't be intrested because theres quite a few lines that would benifit from an RDC trainset (3 or 4 cars long atleast) Maybe NYSW would be intrested in taking in a few more. I would like it if the M&E would all of a sudden pick up a few. They would make great excursion/charter fleets if they had acquired 10 of them.

#70684  by NealG

I believe that some of them went to the Wilton Scenic Railroad in New Hampshire.

#70687  by missthealcos

The BC Rail RDC's?

2 went to Wilton Scenic (BC30, 15)
3 went to Oregon DOT (Lewis & Clark) (BC31, 11, 12)
2 went to WCRA(they already had one privatley owned on the property, so really 3) BC33, 21, 14)
1 went o IRSI in Moncton. (BC 12)

numbers are from memory, so could be wrong...

#70882  by chriskay

I think a lot of the decision would have to do with politics, too, if and when a decision is made.

-Chris

#71940  by USRailFan

Ken V wrote:VIA was interested in purchasing new Superliners back in the early 80's before deciding to rebuild the current fleet (plus some ex-US Budd cars) instead.
Do you know how far these plans advanced? Were there any decision on which types of Superliners to buy, and how many of each type?

#72118  by Ken V

USRailFan wrote:
Ken V wrote:VIA was interested in purchasing new Superliners back in the early 80's before deciding to rebuild the current fleet (plus some ex-US Budd cars) instead.
Do you know how far these plans advanced? Were there any decision on which types of Superliners to buy, and how many of each type?
I don't really know much about VIA's Superliner plans. I read somewhere that they ran a trial in the west using a set of Superliner I equipment leased from Amtrak, but I don't have any more information. I don't think the planning got far enough along to get into specific order details. Hopefully someone who knows more will answer your question.

#72261  by marquisofmississauga

USRailFan wrote:
The Mulroney government had made an election promise to do wonderful things with VIA Rail. In the first term, some of the trains that had been discontinued by the previous government were restored. There was talk about re-equipping the transcontinentals with Superliners, but after a test run out west with Amtrak cars, the idea was abandoned as too expensive. The government had apparently intended to make savage cuts to VIA (which the promptly did in their second term) and it would have been embarrassing to have all this new equipment and not enough trains on which to run it. As a compromise, the HEP programme was instituted and what few long-distance trains remained after 15 Jan. 1990 were given cars that were in many ways "new."

#72434  by ENR3870

missthealcos wrote:The BC Rail RDC's?

1 went o IRSI in Moncton. (BC 12)

numbers are from memory, so could be wrong...
It was actually 2 RDC's that went to IRSI. BC12 and 6128.

The VIA RDC's that were included in the IRSI rebuilds:

6135, 6148, 6205, 6215, and 6250.

I have no idea why the 6133 was not included in the IRSI rebuild. VIA needs 3 cars to protect the service here. Right now they're leasing an RDC from FarmRail.

#72742  by missthealcos

I didn't count 6128, as it was never anything but a parts source, and was never on the BC Rail roster.

The Superliner test was in 1985 I believe, and never went further than the actual tests.

Considering that in early 1989, there were plans to remanufacture and HEP Former CN blue cars along with the SS cars, there were never any plans to purchase new equipment.
 #73092  by jp1822

Just returned from a cross-country trip in Canada utilizing the Enterprise (Consetallation Class) and the Canadian (Silver and Blue Class). What a great trip and glad to see the Heritage equipment still in service. I'd take the Canadian and its Heritage equipment any day over Amtrak's equipment. The domes, lounges, and diners really make it a great train trip. The dome windows were clearer than my previous trip. Via seems to do a pretty good job at keeping this equipment going, although another round of restoration looms ahead I am afraid, as the 90s renovations are starting to show their age. Some painting and new carpet would easily do!

Service, as always was fantastic!!!!

As for the Renaissance equipment. I have mixed feelings. I took a peak a the coach section - looked really nice. But I was unimpressed with the overhead bins or space for onboard storage. No idea how I would deal with my briefcase if I were to bring it on board. The Service/Lounge cars - they have more to be desired. Very few seats and for a tall (and fairly slim person), I was totally uncomfortable and felt like I was ready to fall on the floor. I would imagine the transition from the Skyline dome and Park Car to the Renaissance lounges on the Ocean is not going over too well with regular riders. Can't imagine being in the Renaissance equipment for the trek out to Halifax from Montreal without a nice lounge. Still can't decide whether I liked the Renaissance sleepers or not. It was nice to be in new equipment, but I am not crazy about their design. Lots of bathroom space, but not a lot of room to maneuver for two people once the beds are down. I would have used some of the bathroom and storage space for extra room for maneuvering within the room. The ride was really smooth - not sure if this was due more to the car or the corridor infrastructure.