Railroad Forums 

• PRR Salisbury station restoration

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#281282  by rdgrailfan

From "the Daily Times" in Salisbury www.delmarvanow.com

SALISBURY -- It won't parallel the retail makeover at Washington's trendy Union Station, but the vintage passenger train depot by the same name off Route 13 near downtown gets a radical face lift in the fall for restoration as an "upscale casual" restaurant.
"It will be an upscale casual concept with great food and wine," said Wicomico County restaurateur Tom Knorr, who, along with brother John Knorr, plans to complete the restoration in time for a 2007 opening. "It will serve a little bit of everything."

The brothers recently hired an architect and a historical preservation consultant who are collaborating to restore the property built in 1914 at 611 E. Railroad Ave. as a passenger and freight station, Tom Knorr said.
The 4,182-square foot brick building is one story with an attic and a basement, and Knorr said the consultant is working with local and state historical experts "to bring it back to what it was when it was a passenger station."
"It has old hardwood floors and high ceilings and 1-foot crown molding," he said. "We're hoping to help revitalize that area."
The former depot sprawls 29,000 square feet along Railroad Avenue off southbound Route 13 at the eastern gateway to a longtime industrial region.
It also is within blocks of the downtown retail district called The Plaza where recent years of commercial and residential revitalization projects in the millions of dollars have worked to offset commercial urban flight to the east side corridor off Route 50 and North Salisbury Boulevard.
Salisbury Administrator John Pick hailed the news of the proposed depot project, saying, "We are very excited about the possibilities to have the old railroad station restored."
Another inner-city historic property slated for a makeover is the 60-year-old landmark Boulevard Theater on East Main Street downtown, which the new owners in June announced likely would become a commercial and residential complex.
Job opportunities and historic preservation are crucial, said Brynne Hayes, executive director at Urban Salisbury, which markets downtown business development in The Plaza region.
"It is the right move," she said. "Offering jobs and maintaining a historic structure, while creating an adaptive reuse for the structure, are good components that help continue revitalization."
The depot is listed among the nation's vintage passenger train stations and many, including Washington's Union Station, have been restored to their original splendor and touted as retail or office centers.

#519609  by SRC90

Any updates on the Station?

#519795  by Sand Box John

"SRC90"
Any updates on the Station?

I drive past the station regularly. I have seen nothing done to the building sense the above article was published.

#519985  by SRC90

I live in Delmar, and from what I see everytime I dreive past there, it keeps getting worse a little at a time. I hope they don't put this off more then they have to.
 #558516  by livercup

They are working on it now as they got the law passed to allow brew pubs in Wicomico county. I was by there yesterday and they are working inside. This morning I noticed they had taken up the brick walkways around the building and have stacked the bricks. They seem to be working to relay them. Gonna try and get a peak inside one day soon.
Tom
 #558569  by gprimr1

Now if we could only get some rail service there turning eastward towards OC :)
 #558634  by livercup

That's not really out of the question as most of the original right of ways are still vacant. Who knows, it might just happen one day. It should happen anyway.
Tom
 #558865  by Bobby S

They earlier mentioned a food and wine place. Then it was mentioned a Brewpub law was passed in the county which held it up ! I am intrigued! Are they looking to open a Brewpub there? That would be great...along with service to OC!! lol
 #559113  by livercup

Yes a brew pub! The owners purchase the equipment already from the closed brew pub at BWI. The last I read was a September opening, but I don't see how that is going to happen. No OC service though.
 #569820  by Sand Box John

Was pumping fuel at the North Salisbury Boulevard Super Soda near the station this afternoon. I looked over at the station and noticed that the sheathing had been removed from the shed roof on the west side building. There were also cubes of brick staged around the building. The shed roof on the east side of the building has been totally removed.

Oh, the gas station was selling regular for $3.44.9.
 #684187  by norfolksouthern89

Sand Box John wrote:Was pumping fuel at the North Salisbury Boulevard Super Soda near the station this afternoon. I looked over at the station and noticed that the sheathing had been removed from the shed roof on the west side building. There were also cubes of brick staged around the building. The shed roof on the east side of the building has been totally removed.

Oh, the gas station was selling regular for $3.44.9.

Yeah, I know where is Super Soda near G.K Auto Cars and near NS railroads. Thats where I was live in Salisbury, MD for long time about 9 or 10 years ago so now we are move to Felton, Delaware for 9 years as well.

Now, my home nearly NS Delmarva Secondary Branch so interesting! :-D :-D :-D

- David