Railroad Forums 

• The 636 Fleet

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#619769  by ricebrianrice

So back to my original question, of the remaining M636's (2 I think) are they working on bringing any of these back?

Brian
 #619785  by RS-3

I don't know if they are working on the 636's but it was my understanding that in October during my visit there that the emphases for now had turned to the four axles units. The 432 at Lakeville, the 4264 at Falconer and the 550 at Lakeville. I suspect all three of these will see service before another 636. Mere speculation on my part but I'd also expect to see the 4223 and 4228 put in service before another 636. I personally think they could use one or two more 636's in service before spring arrives but that's just an opinion. I do doubt you'll see more than one or two more 636's enter service for the time being. Again, this all just speculation on my part and worth what you paid for it.

RS
 #621098  by Alcoman

I just learned from an "insider" that neither one will be returned to service. I cannot say who this "insider " is, but I believe the saying "directly from the horse's mouth" would suffice. Dave was 100 % correct. In fact one of these will go to a Museum and the other
one, well; lets just say for now that there is an attempt to "save" this one for future display (if all goes to plan).
One of these has already been gutted of all reusable components which removes any chance of it running again.
 #621253  by Sandy Burton

John,

I am glad that you finally believe what several of us have been reporting for some time. :wink:

Sandy
 #621282  by Luther Brefo

Are we all satisfied now? (this is a truly rhetorical question) If you are not satisfied, send me a PM and we can discuss it privately, as for now, let's move on. I'm not trying to shut anyone up but it seems some of us may be getting "heated" about this whole conversation. The truth is in there somewhere. :)
 #622944  by EMTRailfan

There are a couple of pics of #638 in the B&P's Butler shops on the BPRR Yahoo group. Poster does not have a date attached, but they were added I believe yesterday.
 #624535  by EMTRailfan

EMTRailfan wrote:There are a couple of pics of #638 in the B&P's Butler shops on the BPRR Yahoo group. Poster does not have a date attached, but they were added I believe yesterday.
New word on the BPRR Yahoo group is that #638 is having a traction motor swapped out.
 #624973  by kf7strng

I will confirm that 638 is indeed having a traction motor swapped. I was told this by the same person who posted the 2 photos.
Andy