Railroad Forums 

• Extra lites on SP Locomotives

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#62081  by SRS125

one question that has been on my mind for a while is what were all of the extra but diffrent lites used for on the Southern Pacific Locomotives?? such as the trash can beam lite, 5 set head lites, low hood and high hood 3 set lites. Why did they always have at least one head lite with a red lenz?? What point did they serve for them did this have to do with emergencys??

#63015  by Paul

The red ociliating light comes on when there is an emergency application of the brakes, to warn other trains that there may be danger. I believe oncoming trains view this as a "stop and proceed" signal. Not sure about that one. The other lights are the "Mars" ocilating light. That is a beacon the sweaps in a figure eight motion to warn persons on or near the track. Invented by the same man who's name is on Mars candies. Then there is the standard headlights.
I hope this helps.

#63168  by SRS125

This dose help a lot thanks for the info. One outher question thow when did the SP stop useing this type or protection system. Where there any outher railroads that had such operaion rules?

#63369  by Paul

I think they started to remove them when Anschultz took over about 1980. They were replaced with an amber rotating beacon mounted on the cab roof. These were later superceeded by ditch lights when the FRA passed the Locomotive Conspicuacy Act. Up untill recently, there have been a few running around that still have the Mars lights, but they are not operational as a warning light. I do not know how many other railroads used Mars lights.