Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning the Baltimore Light Rail

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#610487  by njtmnrrbuff

On Sat December 27th, I'm planning a trip to the Baltimore area to ride and railfan as much of the LRT system as possible, and am wondering the following things:
1. What numbered shuttle should I take from the BWI Amtrak station to the light rail terminal at BWI, and how long is the ride between the two stations?

2. What interesting points of interests should I look out for on the light rail once I get out of Baltimore.

3. Have railfans been hassled for taking pix of the LRT. I have heard the Mta of the Balty Area isn't as friendly as those of DC.

4. What eateries are available at Hunt Valley? I think I will make that a lunch stop.

Thank you.
 #610519  by BaltOhio

1. I don't know that the shuttles are numbered -- haven't been out there for a while -- but the bus should say "BWI." It's a relatively short ride -- maybe 5-10 minutes. The light rail terminal is at the far eastern end of the airport terminal, next to the international terminal -- should be the last stop. Service is half-hourly and runs through to Hunt Valley unless there car availability problems, of which the system has had several lately.

2. What do you consider "of interest"? As for railroad interest, the system has a bit of everything. Its southern section is laid mostly on an ex-interurban r.o.w. -- part originally Washington Baltimore & Annapolis, part the onetime Annapolis Short Line. North of North Ave. station the line is mostly laid on the former PRR-Northern Central r.o.w., most of which dates to the 1830s.

Approaching downtown Baltimore from the south, the line goes through a series of viaducts and trestles, then passes the former B&O Camden Station (built 1856-65) and the huge early 1900s B&O Camden Warehouse. It then runs on Howard St. (rather slowly) for about a mile, passing numerous old and/or architecturally interesting buildings, some of which are townhouses dating in some cases to the 1820s and '30s, plus the onetime (now-long-dead) upscale department store district at Lexington St. The street trackage itself is varied -- some in the center, some gutter placement, and some on one side of the street. At the north end of the city trackage (actually on roadside at this point) the line passes over the trainshed of the ex-B&O Mt. Royal Station (1896), then goes through an up-and-down contortion to get underneath a street overpass and then briefly paralleling the CSXT mainline.

The north end, which is partly on former PRR industrial track and partly new r.o.w., goes to single track roadside r.o.w. at Beaverdam Rd. and looks like a Toonerville.

In all, quite a fascinating ride.

3. A good question. The MTA cops seem tolerant and understanding, but if you run into one, he/she may ask who you are, mainly to cover themselves in case someone asks. Apparently they have problems with paranoid bystanders calling in, and have to respond. I've been questioned a couple of times but never hassled or told to stop.

4. Numerous good eating spots at Hunt Valley, since the light rail terminal is next to a large shopping center. There are restaurants of all types except those low-end fast-food chains, plus a buffet (Oriental and Indian, as I recall) at the huge Wegman's grocery store. Can't recommend any because I've never eaten there. You'll need to walk a bit, since the light rail terminal is at the south edge of the center.
 #610575  by njtmnrrbuff

Thank you. I have learned that walks between transit and shopping centers might be furthur than you might think. I found that out with the Baltimore Metro at Owings Mills. Friends have told me that that station is a little bit of a distance from the mall.

What is the scenery like on the light rail system outside of Balty?
 #610589  by BaltOhio

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Thank you. I have learned that walks between transit and shopping centers might be furthur than you might think. I found that out with the Baltimore Metro at Owings Mills. Friends have told me that that station is a little bit of a distance from the mall.

What is the scenery like on the light rail system outside of Balty?
Again, varied. For much of its length, the ex-PRR/Northern Central line follows a river valley (Jones Falls) through a succession of landscapes -- first, a 19th century textile-milling area with several preserved mills and old stonemillworker houses, then alongside an expressway, then through some fairly rarified suburban communities. The scenic highlight is Lake Roland, just north of the Falls Rd. station, formerly a reservoir dating to the 1860s and now a city park. There are no stops through this area because the residents didn't want any part of the line. (Never mind that it was the former railroad that created these suburbs.) Along the way you'll see two former railroad suburban stations (both on the west side of the tracks) -- Riderwood, at Joppa Rd., and Lutherville, a large stone structure with a gambril roof dating to 1876. The line then passes the State Fairgrounds at Timonium station, followed by a huge limestone quarry (west) and the remnants of a 19th century quarry workmen's village (east). This whole area was once an active limestone and marble quarrying complex dating to the early 19th century. After crossing Warren Rd. the scenery is all modern offices and warehouses.
 #610592  by bellstbarn

At the Hunt Valley terminal, I recommend Panera's, which is less than five minutes from the terminal. It is self-serve, reasonable, and good food. The rest room is near a rear exit-only door, but the arrangement is such that you can walk through the dining area to the rest room before ordering (or immediately leave). There is also a pizza place close to the terminal.
----
At the southern end of the line, Cromwell, there is a McDonald's and Wendy.
----
At Cromwell, the MTA police may have seen me taking photos, but I don't make myself too obvious, and they did not bother me. There are many places where one can stand off MTA property and take photos of the Light Rail. The marvelous Yahoo Group UrbanRail a few months ago described a lengthy hassle from police on the Baltimore subway, when European railfans were taking many photos of the subway station at Lexington Market. The questioning lasted so long that the Europeans noticed the skin lightening as higher and higher ranks of MTA showed up to question the foreigners.
-----
I suggest you print the schedules off the internet, as it could be frustrating to wait long for the next photo.
Joe
 #610635  by njtmnrrbuff

I don't think I will take any photos of the Metro because by the time I get into daylight on my way north to Owings Mills, it will be getting dark. There won't be any food stops for me at Glen Burnie-Cromwell terminal either, but thank you for the info. How are the photo angles at Hunt Valley?
 #610645  by bellstbarn

I am not a pro at photo angles, but if you look the Webshots link below, you will see that I caught cars in the setting sun after they had left Hunt Valley station. The distance from Hunt Valley station to Pepper Road is an easy walk, and the trains move slowly. The Hunt Valley terminal did not appeal to me because of clutter from lamp poles, catenary supports, and other bric-a-brac. I toured the line on a weekday, mostly in rush hour, with some 3-car trains. Otherwise, long headways are disappointing. If you have time now, I suggest using Google Maps satellite view to scope out the zig-zag route the line follows south from Hunt Valley before it gets on the railroad right of way. Maybe research the entire route!
Some of the stops in the park region of the City of Baltimore are scenic, but I don't know whether the low sun of winter would keep them in the shade.
I really had hoped to walk Howard Street for photos, but I gave up.
------
Link: http://travel.webshots.com/album/567775 ... ost=travel
 #610703  by bellstbarn

I did not have the time to get off the train, but I was impressed by Mount Washington's setting (a "village" of stores to the west, a park to the east) and Cold Spring Lane (below an overpass, with woods to east and west). However, it is better learned from a native than a New York railfan much impressed by what he saw.
 #610716  by bellstbarn

BaltOhio above at 2:32 p.m. did a better job than I of describing the route. I just finished ten minutes of refreshing my memory by touring the line from Woodberry to Lutherville on Google Map's Satellite view, and the parkland I referred to seems more slender. BaltOhio stated it well.