Railroad Forums 

• 418 road test ?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#567139  by the1jp

After arriving back in Avon village on Wed.13, I was surprised to see an unlettered but running 418 attached to 425. They must have made the run up and back to GJ together. Was this a road test for the 418 or has something happened to the 420? Sorry, no camera!
 #567258  by the1jp

I only saw 1 side, but I assume the other was also blank with just black paint
 #567417  by PVRX1

Probably just a road test. The unit needed a new air compressor and some minor other attention.

Most likely Ontario Central lettering removed to make room for LA&L lettering.
 #609260  by Tadman

It's an undercover unit. The new way to avoid per-diem car charges and the like.

"A black locomotive took the cars off the interchange track, you say? Was it LAL? NS? Who?"
 #610331  by alsorailfan

Hey all!
Have not been able to view the posting since Thanksgiving and this one got me wondering and agreeing with Otto's comment of "unlettered you say?". Am not sure of the cost, time, manpower, etc. involved for lettering but to paint over a recent lettering???

http://picasaweb.google.com/alsorailfan ... 7183255506

A very nice professional job by the LA&L people IMHO.

chris
 #610474  by railwatcher

Chris, I think I have seen this engine with lettering,now. I am 80% sure. May have been in one of your pictures you took. Check them out. For awhile there was talk of 418 going to WNYP but it was finally deciided it would stay on the LAL. Although you never know. Seen #424 or #423 lately, they are on the other lines working daily. Power goes where it is most needed, obviously. Probably #432 will be on its way back to WNYP soon.