Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#153297  by WRMcI

How does the staircase in the MUNI trains work to accomodate the hi-level platform? I went to San Fransico once, but only rode the F Market Line and the subway trolleys. Anyone have an explanation? (or aan offical name for them, so i can Google it?) Thanks!

#153860  by Palal12

The LRVs basically have moving steps, which are lowered when the LRV exits the tunnel and are raised when it enters it. Some high platforms are present along the Embarcadero and along 19th Avenue outside the tunnel.

#153927  by WRMcI

Ah, thanks!
 #579712  by Disney Guy

Both the Boeings and the Bredas have the same step format. (Not sure whether made by the same subcontractor) The floor just inside the door has two vertically moving strips, the outermost drops down about 20 inches and the other drops down about 10 inches to form the stepwell.

On the Breda cars, when the steps are in the up position making a level floor, there is a gap filler, a much narrower strip that comes out from under the outermost step-strip and snaps into place level with the floor when the door opens.

Only the steps "on the right" could be lowered and on the Boeings, the doors "on the left" could not be opened when the steps were lowered. (San Francisco's as well as most cities' earlier streetcars didn't use left side boarding.) The latter restriction may have been removed and the Bredas don't have this restriction so as to allow alternating service of island high platforms and regular street stops without adjusting the steps.
 #606637  by Disney Guy

I think it was San Francisco's M-Oceanview line where I saw that some (right side low platform) street stops were replaced with island high platforms to accommodate wheelchair riders. But only a few of the stops were so converted.

Each stop is handled (designed, built, renovated, etc.) on an individual basis, so "alternating service" just happens.