Railroad Forums 

• Please repost the great material on the FM OP engine?

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#7244  by atsf_arizona

Hi,

Is it possible to for some of you to repost some previous great material that was posted here on the Fairbanks Morse OP engine?

It was very useful, and I'd like to reference it as background info on the FM Opposed Piston engine, in an upcoming web article that I am going to launch this Thursday, 4/1/04.

I'd really appreciate it, sorry about the short notice. Ideally, just repost it here to the FM section of Railroad.net, and I can reference this forum.

In particular, there was some great info by the following members:
  • the various horsepowers of the railroad FM engine,
    the 'shopping' by FM of the turbocharged 3600HP engine,
    the differences between marine use and railroad use,
    comments on why FM OP engine wasn't successful in railroading,
    comments about maintaining FM OP engine
    the copying of the FM OP engine by the Soviets
Members that had the info include:

Typewriters
dellison
FMengines
LocoBuilder

Please let me know, thx!

My email is [email protected]
Last edited by atsf_arizona on Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #8963  by atsf_arizona

Hi, all,

Well, now the 'Santa Fe Trainmaster story' for April Fool's Day web site has been posted, I and two friends built to celebrate the Fairbanks Morse Trainmaster and it's fictional role on the Santa Fe's transcontinetal main line in Arizona:

Please feel free to enjoy as the URL below, hope you enjoy the show, I trust you will find it readable, enjoyable, and close enough to historically accurate to make it worth your time:

http://home.comcast.net/~j.sing/tm-1.html

Much of the research on the FM OP engine came from the previous posts in this particular forum (that were here before the migration to the new software)

Thx for the previous education in the previous posts, it made our article much more historically pleasant to read!

You can see more about the various 4/1/04 fun that happened at:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41020

#9862  by Typewriters

Guess I'm too late, eh? It's unfortunate that the previous strings on the old forum were lost, as there was a wealth of information included therein. I used 'em as reference tools, and as entertainment, and as one source of interaction. Hopefully, these new ones will fill all of those bills and more.

#10228  by rivertripp

Glad you're back, typwriters. I miss the info, too, and all the memories of the naval engines. I live in St. Johnsbury VT where the FM story began, and we even went down to NC to see the locomotives down there, and bid on them last week to start an FM railroad exhibit up here. In preparation, I found a lot of manuals on Ebay; operating and repair, very helpful. Also, thru the FM forum here, I was able to get in touch with other owners and operators. Numbers were not right for us to get a locomotive up here this time, in the end, (last ten minutes), we were bidding against an IBM mainframe and bailed out. Both H12-44s went for about 17.5K. A bargain!
But not if one is on friction bearings and you have to move it a thousand miles, and the other hasn't run since 1998. Oh well. Maybe we'll end up with one of those trainmasters somebody saw lying on their sides down in Mexico!

#11308  by krobar

Trainmaster laying on it's side? Where? If this is true then it would be one of the few surviving DL&W units of any maker. Are you sure it wasn't an H1644? BTW, the Santa Fe Trainmaster story was great but one question. Whose electricals were involved? Westinghouse or GE? :wink:

#24051  by atsf_arizona

Hi, all,

No problem, thx for logging on, and at least reflecting on the value of the FM OP engine material that once was here.

Glad a few of you enjoyed our imagineering.

Krobar, regarding the fantasy Santa Fe Trainmaster and whether it was Westinghouse or GE electrical gear .... that's a very good question.

We haven't discovered that fact yet, but perhaps someday there will be some new info. If there is, it will warrant a slight update on the Santa Fe Trainmaster web site - if there is I will re-post that 'info' here.

I gather it will depend on which of the two manufacturers equipment was better suited to the imagined 3150 HP of the bigger Super Trainmaster FM OP engine. As Westinghouse was exiting the market by late 1954, my guess after some research is that the electrical gear would have been GE.
(smile)

By the way, here's a few shots of the N scale fantasy FM Santa Fe Trainmaster running on the Belmont Shore Lines model RR in San Pedro, Calif, at their recent May 23, 2004 Open House.

=========

Thanks to Flash Blackman, the Belmont Shores Lines generously hosted Santa Fe 3150 (the Super Trainmaster in Zebra Stripe ATSF) during their Open House this past weekend.

You were all there in spirit with me!

The Belmont Shores Lines club members were just great. To the club, thanks for allowing me to run this past weekend. Here's a couple of shots, and about 20 more shots are available on my Community Webshots / Railimages web pages (see below for the links).

The ATSF Trainmaster on Belmont Shore Lines NTrak module's bridge:
Super Trainmaster created by:

Trainmaster crossing the canyon at Mount Billings:

The Trainmaster hauling a hotshot of ATSF reefers out of Davis, Calif:

Aerial shot at Echo:

Rounding Tehachapi Loop:

Dropping downgrade towards Bakersfield below the Loop:

Unrelated to the fantasy Santa Fe FM Trainmaster, but showing what N scale is known for: a long 1950's piggyback train climbing towards Tehachapi Loop:

You get an idea of the size of scenes that N scale can create as evidenced by this Belmont Shore scene as the train descends Tehachapi Loop. Photo by Flash Blackman, thx Flash!:

To see more additional shots, see the new Volume 13 at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/atsf_arizona

#58483  by FM/CLC Fan

There is a Yahoo Groups forum that has some scanned users manuals and such on the OP available in their files section. If interested, check out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FairbanksMorse/