Railroad Forums 

• Binghamton-Scranton segment still open and used?

• Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.
Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#422513  by scottychaos

Yes, it is..
original DL&W mainline, then D&H, now in use by Canadian Pacific.

If you meant the original D&H mainline, Nineveh to Scranton, the "Penn Division", its out of service and torn up. abandoned 1986.

Scot
 #422538  by gawlikfj

This is the line that bypasses Beldon Tunnel ?

#422708  by deezlfan

Yes, the line was used for high and wide shipments and detours until the completion of the rebuild of Belden Tunnel. After that, the line was torn out toward the end of the Guilford era . In many places, even the ballast was removed for reuse elsewhere.

There is still plenty to see along the old right of way, so planning a side trip the follow the route is educational. Gather some old photos of the D&H and head for Starrucca/Laneboro and try to line up the old photo locations. The Starrucca Viaduct used to be one of the Seven Wonders of the railfan world. Up there with Tehachapi Loop, Feather River Canyon and Cascade tunnel.

#454248  by BlockLine_4111

The old D&H Penn Division is classical and its a sin they did away with it.
Nothing like seeing big Alco and GE's battling the grade to/from Wilkes Barre, PA.

This was the most classical part of the D&H IMO. :wink:
 #543131  by CN9634

Not to bump this thread but I didnt see a need to start a new one if this one existed. When was the Belden Tunnel rebuilt and was it by Guilford? (Did they actually use money from there own pocket?)
 #543235  by deezlfan

When was the Belden Tunnel rebuilt and was it by Guilford?
Yes, a Guilford era project. Last half of 1985 according to Scott Hartley author of Guilford Five Years of Change.
(Did they actually use money from there own pocket?)
Hum, doubtful. If I remember correctly, NYS DOT was involved in the project and that probably meant state money.
The State of New York was a benefactor and guardian of the D&H lines many times in years past. After the project
was completed, the Penn Div. was torn out and that probably provided some recovery of assets for Guilford. Could
anyone point out a reliable source for information on this question.

Re:

#544347  by mikeexplorer

deezlfan wrote:Yes, the line was used for high and wide shipments and detours until the completion of the rebuild of Belden Tunnel. After that, the line was torn out toward the end of the Guilford era . In many places, even the ballast was removed for reuse elsewhere.

There is still plenty to see along the old right of way, so planning a side trip the follow the route is educational. Gather some old photos of the D&H and head for Starrucca/Laneboro and try to line up the old photo locations. The Starrucca Viaduct used to be one of the Seven Wonders of the railfan world. Up there with Tehachapi Loop, Feather River Canyon and Cascade tunnel.
There are some relics but Guilford took everything of value. It is now the D&H rail-trail owned by the rail-trail council of NEPA. I have a photo collection of walking the entire line from Simpson to Windsor,NY where the ROW ends. (that is not private property)

http://nepaview.piczo.com/?g=15178465&cr=4
 #545477  by SooLineRob

Regarding the Belden Tunnel project...

This article appeared in the April-May 1984, Volume 11, Number 9, edition of Tri-State's (NRHS) Block Line magazine:

"After months of delay, Guilford Transportation Industries finally took control of the financially ailing D&H on January 5, 1984, after signing a debt restructering agreement that literally wipes out a D&H debt of $76 million to the federal government.

Under the agreement, authorized by congress, the tab will only have to be paid in the event of the bankruptcy, liquidation,, or abandonment of the railroad.

The Guilford system (including the Maine Central and Boston & Maine) now stretches over 3,900 miles of track (both owned and trackage rights) from Portland, ME to Buffalo, NY and Alexandria, VA.

As part of the takeover, New York State has agreed to give the railroad $24 million for the rebuilding of its Albany - Binghamton mainline, including the expansion of Belden Hill tunnel. And, the state will provide an additional $3 million subsidy for losses on local freight service.

Sources: Cinders, Staff, Traffic World, Star Ledger
 #547108  by cjvrr

It was paid for by NY State. My father worked as a constructon estimator for the contractor the enlarged / rebuilt the tunnel. And the work was done in the last half of 1985.

The old line from Ninevah down to Starucca was pulled a short while after the tunnel was reopened. I remember seeing the work train and equipment. It was all Guilford equipment and crews. As has been stated, they even took the ballast. Anything of value was removed.

Chris
 #547762  by mikeexplorer

BobLI wrote:Mike, that web site you have has some fantastic pics. I also like how you have the topo maps etc to show the area explored. Looking forward to seeing more, great job!
The topo maps are important to show the area where the pictures are taken, epically for someone who doesn't know the area.

We just found a large section of the old O&W railroad bed and started exploring it yesterday.