Railroad Forums 

• Question for CSX conductor Re. Attleboro Freight

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#54286  by 16trouble

I do not understand why:
1. Csx sends a light engine move from Walpole to Mansfield in the morning to switch cars brought in from Framingham in the early AM (about 8 miles)
2. They then bring Mansfield freight (empties) to Attleboro so that it can be picked up the next morning. The engines run light back to Walpole in the afternoon (a distance of about 14 miles). The empties are brought back the next day from Attleboro through Mansfield to go to Framingham. Why not just tie up in Mansfield, bring the empties back to Mansfield, and let the stuff come back from Middleboro through Attleboro by itself. It seems that they are wasting a lot of time and fuel moving the engines about 22+- miles and the empties about 12 miles more than they have to. I know that Walpole has a building and a radio and a fax machine but wouldn't it be easier to just move that stuff to Mansfield? Thank you! Larry B. 16trouble

#54397  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

have you seen this freight lately? i live in North Attleboro and see it when i can. I like how they come down here for the trip. I get to see a freight instead of just passenger trains. but i don't know why they do what they do. Post this question in the CSX forum, you'll porbably get a quicker response