Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#52565  by jcpatten

The few times I've taken MBTA into Lowell, on the outskirts of the Guilford yard there it looks like an old railroad embankment on either side of the yard. There are power lines there now. I think a continuation of the embankment can be seen from the interstate.

Was that a railroad or trolley at one point?

I have "Rail Lines of Southern New England" but that doesn't cover trolley lines and besides it doesn't get into detail in the cities and towns.
 #52634  by elecuyer

The embankment in the Lowell yards was part of the line that orginally connected the (orginal) Boston & Maine Lowell branch to the Old Colony/New Haven Lowell Branch.

Before the B&M absorbed the B&L (Boston & Lowell) there were 2 competing lines between Lowell and Lawrence. Utimately, they kept the B&M line which ran (for the most part) north of the B&L. This is still in use as part of the Gulford Frieght main.

However, in the Lowell Yard, the B&M orginally crossed over the B&L yard via the embamkments you see. The line crossed Gorham street to the right side of the Dunkin Donuts, ran along side Manchester Street (where they have recently built some condos) and connected with the OC/New Haven around the area of the Plain Street bridge (which was laid out differently in that era.)

When the B&M absorbed the B&L, they built a connector from the B&M Lowell Branch to the B&L main line. This is why there is an embankment at Meadowcroft Street and the main line makes a funny curve. You can also find the orginal B&L Lawrence branch, still buried in the parking lot of the industries back there. It looks like an industrial spur, but it is a straight shot towards the Concord river, and the long-gone B&L Concord River bridge.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the tracks, the B&M constructed a very steep incline and curve so they could serve the few customers that they had along the stretch between the yard and the OC connection. This included a short siding at what is now the Party store, some industries along Manchester Street (now the Dunkin Donuts/Condos), and the Oil/Coal dealer that is still there. I have no idea when service ultimately ended on that line, but it was gone before I moved to the neigborhood in 1995. By then, the rail was still in place at the crossings but paved over. Everything is gone now, and you wouldn't know that a railroad once was there.

Even I moved out in 2000, but still have family who live nearby.

Map of the area in 1893 that shows the original configuration:
http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=MA

-Ed Lecuyer

#52637  by TPR37777

The curved wooden trestle that cut across the edge of the Concord River heading down toward the center always intrigued me. Lowell is full of the ghosts of railroads past.
 #52641  by elecuyer

To refer to "Rail Lines of Southern NE."

Boston & Lowell - #51
Boston & Lowell, Lawrence Branch - #51D

Boston & Maine, Lowell Branch - #52C

Old Colony (Framingham & Lowell) - #47

Also, the curved trestle was part of the B&M Lowell branch that took the line to the orginal B&M Station (still standing) in downtown Lowell.

Yes, lots to explore in Lowell.
 #52879  by jcpatten

I've seen that Lowell B&M station briefly, but haven't yet been able to get a good look at it. That map explains a lot as to how the B&M got to that location. Looks like a magificent structure.

Looks like the B&L had exclusive access to all the mill action going on in Lowell, at least at the time of that map.

I've visited the mill park in Lowell and taken the trolley and the boat tour. Too bad there's no way that the trolley could get to the MBTA station for tourists coming by train.
 #52913  by elecuyer

There have been plans and proposals drawn up to connect the Gallagar Terminal (Lowell MBTA/Bus station) to the trolley system. It would be very tricky getting across Dutton/Fletecher street and the "Lord Overpass" rotary/overpass (this is also where the B&M Station was for many years - once the B&M and B&L consolidated operations, until this rotary/overpass was constructed.)

For all sorts of great information, including all the proposed route expansions, maps, etc. check out:

http://www.heritagetrolley.org/existLowell.htm

-Ed Lecuyer
 #52929  by efin98

jcpatten wrote:Looks like the B&L had exclusive access to all the mill action going on in Lowell, at least at the time of that map.
Not so exclusive- they were owned and built by the same people so it's natural that the B&L would service the mills since it's mutually beneficial to the people upstairs.

#53064  by Ron Newman

Why not just build street-running tracks than go through the underpass?
 #53186  by elecuyer

That is one of the proposals being looked at in the plans posted on the web site I linked, above. Honestly, given automobile traffic through that area, I think that having a dedicated ROW would be the right way to do it.

Be sure to read the proposal I linked. Lots of good ideas, maps, proposals, etc. Someone gave this a great deal of thought.

#53209  by NellsChoo

How large is the old B&M yard in Lowell now? How does Guilford use it? Is it worth finding?
 #53253  by GP40MC1118

Lowell is a ghost town compared to about 15-20 years ago.

The New Yard (between the Concord River Bridge and Lunenberg
Street) along the MBTA mainline turned into a dead storage yard
after the 1986 strike. Eventually it was used for derelict equipment
and severed from the mainline from the south end (not sure if the
connection "The Fairgrounds" from CPF-BY Interlocking is still intact).

The Bleachery Yards (which once extended south to S.Lowell along
the MBTA mainline) are also largely dead and gone.

Across from old Lowell Tower is the turnout, which was used for
setoff and pickups. I believe this is still largely true for what little
traffic is left in Lowell.

Dave

#53389  by Rockingham Racer

And the tower (BO tower) was quite busy. The operator controlled almost as far as Ayer (Forge Village?). And for some reason, there was a "gates operating" light indicator on the CTC board for a crossing out that way some where. Anybody know why?

#53524  by Ron Newman

> Lowell is a ghost town compared to about 15-20 years ago.

I assume you mean only railroad-wise; in every other way, the town looks and feels much better than 20 years ago.
 #53631  by GP40MC1118

You assumed correctly - railroading only. I should have further qualified that by stating its a ghost town as far as local railroad business goes. When I was at Lowell Tower, all three yards I mentioned were quite active and most road freights setoff, picked up or did both. And you had switchers on most shifts everyday of the week. This was in 1980-86.

From what I can remember, there were gate down indicators for North
Chelmsford and Meadowcroft Street in Lowell. We also had a high car detector in the tower.

Dave