Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#533941  by Ken V

Due to major track work planned by CN this summer, VIA is adding a extra time to all its schedules for trips in the Quebec City - Windsor corridor starting June 1. Most trip times between Montreal and Toronto will be increased by between 20 and 40 minutes. Shorter trips (e.g Toronto-Sarnia) will also be increased accordingly.

VIA's website does mention the fact that there will be changes but doesn't give the details.

#534061  by MACTRAXX

Ken: Just thinking about this trackwork: Has CN or VIA placed any concrete ties on any track stretches on the Montreal-Toronto line? In the past or during this next round of track work? Does any other VIA Corridor routes have concrete ties on any tracks that you(or anyone else) know of? Other then the GO line to Oshawa from Toronto Union I have not noticed anyone mentioning any track improvements that include concrete ties. Thanks-MACTRAXX
 #544962  by NortheastTrainMan

MACTRAXX i don't think that there are any concrete ties on the corridor. It's a shame the VIA has great equipment but it isn't suited for high-speeds (over 100MPH), also i don't think VIA owns any of the tracks that it runs on. :(
 #545050  by jp1822

Wasn't there a plan at one time to run VIA dedicated trains on CN trackage and then move CN freight traffic essentially to CP rails? But do CN and CP rails really parallel each other between Montreal and Toronto - where they were talking about doing this deal. But I think the real issus is - they don't have the equipment to get above 100 mph so even with the freight traffic that remains on the corridor, VIA is at a stand still on this issue so to speak. This has aleady been brought up.

What about Renaissance coaches - could they run in excess of 100 mph? And of course Canada did experiment slightly with the 21st century Turbotrain (not the one from the 70's and 80's - but rather the one from Bombardier I believe). The motive power looked like an Acela power car, only it ran with turbo or diesel, and not on electric power with catenary etc.
 #545051  by jp1822

Bring back the overnight train on the Montreal-Toronto Corridor. Or even extend it from Quebec to Toronto. I miss the Enterprise and its predecessor the Cavelier. I don't know what it was, but every time I rode the train, it was pretty full in the sleepers. Course this was usually the same days that it connected with the Canadian. With the longer schedules on the corridor between Montreal and Toronto, I'd love to see the overnight sleeper train make a comeback! But I know VIA is done with it!
 #545052  by NortheastTrainMan

jp1822 wrote:Wasn't there a plan at one time to run VIA dedicated trains on CN trackage and then move CN freight traffic essentially to CP rails? But do CN and CP rails really parallel each other between Montreal and Toronto - where they were talking about doing this deal. But I think the real issus is - they don't have the equipment to get above 100 mph so even with the freight traffic that remains on the corridor, VIA is at a stand still on this issue so to speak. This has aleady been brought up.

What about Renaissance coaches - could they run in excess of 100 mph? And of course Canada did experiment slightly with the 21st century Turbotrain (not the one from the 70's and 80's - but rather the one from Bombardier I believe). The motive power looked like an Acela power car, only it ran with turbo or diesel, and not on electric power with catenary etc.
I know what you mean it's the JetTrain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JetTrain

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/ ... 41108d.jpg
 #606839  by Ken V

In addition to the 4-night Canadian, VIA will also be making some other schdule adjustments starting December 1.
VIA Rail Canada wrote: Image

To better meet your needs, we'll soon be making minor changes to some of our train schedules.

Unless otherwise specified, most of these changes are permanent and take effect on December 1, 2008.

To find out if these changes affect you, please read over the following details. Or you can view the new schedules and compare them to previous ones.

New stop in Trenton Junction on the Toronto-Montréal route
We have also adjusted some departure times on our most popular route to get travellers to Toronto a little earlier.
  • Train 68 (Toronto-Montréal), which leaves Toronto at 6:35 p.m. will now make a stop in Trenton Junction at 8:20 p.m. before arriving in Montréal at 11:58 p.m.
  • Early bird Train 53 (Montréal-Toronto) will leave from Montréal ten minutes earlier at 6:35 a.m., and consequently arrive in Toronto at 11:27 a.m.
  • Every day, Train 69 (Montréal-Toronto) will depart 15 minutes earlier, pulling away from the station at 6:05 p.m. and arriving in Toronto at 11:26 p.m.

Changes to two departure times between Toronto-Sarnia
  • Previously departing daily at 6:55 a.m., Train 84 (Sarnia-Toronto) will now be leaving 25 minutes earlier at 6:30 a.m. and arrive at 10:40 a.m.
  • Sarnia-bound Train 85 will leave Toronto ten minutes later at 11:00 a.m. and arrive at destination by 3:03 p.m.

Toronto-Ottawa: Earlier departures
  • Train 45, which previously departed daily from Ottawa at 12:35 p.m, will now leave the station ten minutes earlier at 12:25 p.m. This Train will arrive in Union Station at 5:06 p.m.
  • Train 44 (Toronto-Ottawa) will also be departing ten minutes earlier at 12:10 p.m. The revised arrival time in the nation’s capital is 4:31 p.m.
  • Finally, Train 641, a Saturday-only departure in the direction of Toronto, will now leave 15 minutes earlier at 6:45 a.m. Early birds will thus arrive at destination at 11:18 a.m.

Revised departure times on Montréal-Ottawa route
  • Every Monday through Friday, Train 31 (Montréal-Ottawa) will leave the station ten minutes later at 6:45 a.m., rather than 6:35 a.m. Arrival time is thus revised to 8:37 a.m.
  • Train 39, the last departure of the day, will now be pulling away from Central Station ten minutes later at 6:15 p.m. before arriving in Ottawa at 8:11 p.m.

Two new departure times between Toronto-Windsor
  • Previously departing from Windsor daily at 5:55 a.m., Train 70 will now leave ten minutes earlier at 5:45 a.m., arriving in Union station at 10:06 a.m.
  • Similarly, Train 72 will also be departing for Toronto ten minutes earlier at 9:55 a.m., rather than 10:05 a.m. The new arrival time is 1:55 p.m.

Major changes on the Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver) route!
Although departure days from both cities have not changed, departure times have been pushed back to evenings and one night of travel has been added to the trip.
  • Departing from Toronto on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, Train 1 will now be leaving Union Station at 10:00 p.m., rather than the previous time of 9:00 a.m. Arrival time in Vancouver is thus four days later at 9:42 a.m.
  • Train 2, which departs from Vancouver on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday, previously departed at 5:30 p.m. This Train will now leave at 8:30 p.m. and arrive in Toronto four days later at 9:30 a.m.

Don't forget to book early to take advantage of VIA's great deals!

For more information
For a complete list of departures, on-board services and fare plans or to purchase tickets online, visit viarail.ca.

You can also buy your tickets over the phone by calling 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired), at any ticket counter, at a self-service ticketing kiosk in main Corridor stations, or from a travel agency.

Want to make sure you don't miss your train? Create your own personal train schedule.

We would like to know what you think of these schedule changes. After all, VIA Rail is always on the lookout for new ways of attaining our goal: taking you to your destination in comfort, at an attractive price, and at a convenient time.

PDF versions of the new schedules can be viewed here.
 #664381  by Ken V

The following changes to VIA Rail's corridor schedule will take effect on May 1:

Toronto-Kingston-Montréal
  • Train 52 (Toronto-Montréal) now runs Monday through Saturday, departing from Toronto 10 minutes later at 7:05 a.m. before arriving in Montréal at 12:33 p.m. Previously, Train 52 only operated Monday through Friday.
  • Train 652 (Toronto-Montréal), which departed from Toronto on Saturdays at 7:25 a.m., has been replaced with Train 52 (see above).
  • Departing Monday through Saturday, Train 53 (Montréal-Toronto) will now pull out of the station five minutes earlier at 6:30 a.m. and thus arrive at Toronto's Union Station at 11:29 a.m.
  • The last departure of the day, Train 650 (Toronto-Kingston) will now leave from Toronto 30 minutes later at 10:30 p.m. and arrive in Kingston at 12:58 a.m.
Toronto-Ottawa
  • Train 40 (Toronto-Ottawa) now runs Monday through Saturday, departing from Toronto 10 minutes later at 7:05 a.m. before arriving in the nation's capital at 12:00 p.m. Previously, Train 40 only operated Monday through Friday.
  • Train 640 (Toronto-Ottawa), which departed from Toronto on Saturdays at 7:25 a.m., has been replaced with Train 40 (see above).
  • Previously departing daily at 3:30 p.m., Train 46 (Toronto-Ottawa) will now be leaving five minutes later at 3:35 p.m. and thus arrive in Ottawa at 8:11 p.m.
  • In the opposite direction, Train 45 (Ottawa-Toronto) will now be leaving five minutes earlier at 12:20 p.m. and arrive in Union Station at the revised time of 5:08 p.m.
  • Also, Train 643 (Ottawa-Toronto), which departs Ottawa at 8:50 a.m., will now be making a stop in Oshawa at 1:00 p.m. before arriving at 1:35 p.m.
  • Finally, please note that the following trains will no longer allow new travellers to board at Oshawa station; as of May 1, 2009, these Ottawa-Toronto departures will only stop at Oshawa to let travellers disembark: Train 47 departing 5:00 p.m. and Train 49 departing at 6:15 p.m..
Ottawa- Montréal
  • Train 34 (Ottawa-Montréal), which previously departed at 3:15 p.m. Sunday through Friday, will now leave the station 20 minutes earlier at 2:55 p.m. This train will arrive in Central Station at 4:52 p.m.
  • Also, the daily departure of Train 634 (Ottawa-Montréal) has been pushed back 20 minutes to 1:05 p.m. The revised arrival time in Montréal is 3:02 p.m.
  • Every Saturday and Sunday, Train 638 (Ottawa-Montréal) will depart the nation's capital five minutes earlier at 5:55 p.m. and thus arrive in Montréal at 7:52 p.m.
  • Previously, Train 31 (Montréal-Ottawa) departed Monday through Friday at 6:45 a.m. As of May 1, 2009, this train will now leave five minutes earlier at 6:40 a.m. and arrive in Ottawa at 8:36 a.m.
  • An afternoon train departing Sunday through Friday, Train 35 (Montréal-Ottawa) will now leave 15 minutes earlier at 3:00 p.m. The revised arrival time is 5:01 p.m.
  • Finally, Train 635 (Montréal-Ottawa) will now leave for Ottawa 20 minutes later at 1:10 p.m. and arrive at 3:16 p.m.
Montréal-Québec City
  • Train 22 (Montréal-Québec City) now operates daily, departing from Montréal five minutes later at 1:00 p.m. before arriving in Québec's capital at 4:23 p.m. Previously, Train 22 only ran Sunday through Friday.
  • Train 622 (Montréal-Québec City), which departed from Montréal on Saturdays at 1:30 p.m., has been replaced with Train 22 (see above).
  • Departing from Québec City daily, Train 25 (Québec City-Montréal) will now be pulling away from the station 15 minutes earlier at 12:45 p.m. before arriving at 4:07 p.m.
  • Also, Train 27 (Québec City-Montréal) will depart for Montréal five minutes later at 5:40 p.m. The newly revised arrival time for this daily train is 9:20 p.m.
Trains in southwestern Ontario
  • Now running Monday through Saturday, Train 740 (Aldershot-Toronto) departs Aldershot at 6:00 a.m. and arrives at Union Station at 6:36 a.m.
  • Train 752 (Aldershot-Toronto), which departed from Aldershot Saturdays at 6:25 a.m., has been replaced with Train 740 (see above).
  • Operating daily, Train 78 (Windsor-Toronto) is now departing for Union Station five minutes earlier at 5:55 p.m. Passengers will thus arrive at 10:19 p.m.
  • Departing Monday through Friday, Train 86 (Sarnia-Toronto) will now be leaving five minutes earlier at 5:20 a.m. The new arrival time is 8:27 a.m.
  • Similarly, Train 82 (London-Toronto) will also be departing for Toronto five minutes earlier at 6:20 a.m. The revised arrival time for this early weekday train is 8:25 a.m.
  • Toronto-Niagara Falls Train 90 (Niagara Falls-Toronto) will now be leaving one of Canada's most popular destinations 10 minutes earlier at 6:30 a.m. Early risers will get to Toronto at 8:35 a.m.
New trains added between June 25 and September 21, 2009! Toronto-Niagara Falls
  • Train 93 will depart Toronto Thursday through Monday at 11:00 a.m. and arrive in Niagara Falls at 1:01 p.m.
  • Train 94 departs Niagara Falls Thursdays, Fridays, and Mondays at 2:15 p.m. reaching Toronto at 4:10 p.m. and train 694 will leave Niagara Falls Saturdays and Sundays at 11:30 a.m. and arrive in Toronto at 1:25 p.m.
General changes
  • Please note that the name of the Trenton Junction station has now been changed to Trenton Junction (Quinte West).

PDF versions of the new schedules can be seen at http://www.viarail.ca/billets/en_hora_pdfs2.html
 #664471  by timberley

In response to NortheastTrainMan....the first stretch of trackage VIA ever owned was the part of the Brockville-Ottawa line, from Smiths-Falls North to Ottawa. I think they may own part of the Ottawa-Montreal line as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

In response to jp822.... CN and CP run in somewhat similar areas, even parallel in some parts of the corridor, but nowhere near each other in other areas. I live next to the CN/VIA corridor at Johnstown ON, (MP 110, about 15 miles from Brockville), and the CP main runs through Kemptville ON, which is more than 40 km to the North. I also don't know how the two main lines compare, in terms of track speeds, volume, condition,etc.

It is good to hear that CN is finally doing some upgrades. I know in my area, they're long-overdue.
 #664725  by buddah

Thanks for the update ken I was looking for the table but couldn't find it online. The one I'm most particularly looking at is the Toronto-montreal #52 im use to the deprarture @ 6:55 and arrival @12:15. That time served me well as my usual IT meetings in Montreal were lunch meeting that always start at 12:30 so it was perfect if I decided to leave Toronto in the early AM. Now with it arriving at 12:33 its going to put me in a slight predicament. Thankfully those meetings are only quarterly at the most. hopefully after track upgrades are done they can arrange the arrival time down from 12:33 to 12:00 and leave the departure at 7:05 that would be an improvement.