Railroad Forums 

• Maine Eastern

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#52571  by Mainecoaster

Does anyone know if the Maine Eastern is running the line from Brunswick to Augusta. I know Augusta has layed gravel over the rails from the water street crossing to the bridge that crosses the Kennebec. Across the other side of the bridge the rails are being used. I thought when the Mill reopened then rail business would start again. Does anyone know the status of this line and if the line is being used at all.

Also heard rumors engineers were looking at the rail bridge in lewiston to check the feasibility of Brunswick thru Lisbon & Lewiston. Any news on that line. I remember when Maine Central would run that line daily. Sure would be nice to see something happen again.

Thanks to everyone,
 #52715  by wolfmom69

The line to Augusta from Brunswick is NOT in operation. As far as the paper mill just across the bridge it has NOT reopened-BUT-the scrap dealer adjacent to it,O'Connor Steel, is a frequent shipper. The service comes DOWN from Waterville in the form of Guilford train WA-1/WA-2. Besides O'Connor,the steady customers are Cives Steel and Blue Seal Feeds,4-5 miles further east at "Kennebec Siding". This is reached by going down Lipman Rd. off Route 201: :( the other rail customer for Guilford has been Suburban Propane,about a mile west of Kennebec Siding. While Maine Coast ran to Augusta,before 12/2000,their major consignee was Pine State Trading Co. which is WEST of the bridge. Maine Coast crews crossed the bridge for about a year in 1999,but then turned the train over to Guilford crews who were taxied down from Waterville. Train left there upon return. Guilford finally put $$$(damn little)into the line down from Waterville. Do not look for the full opening of the Lewiston Lower Branch. State dollars rehabed the branch as far as Lisbon Falls-but Grimmels scrap in Topsham never used the line(due to law suit against Guilford).. The old Grand Trunk,the Lewiston Lower and the mainline through lewiston were NEVER connected!!! NOR will they EVER be! Bud