Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#516655  by right-of-way

After years of studying this, I devised a real nice tour. I would reccomend this specific path (from SF)

1) BART to Richmond

2) Capitol Corridor (Amtrak) from Richmond BART [easy connection] to San Jose Diridon Station - need to check

3) VTA LRT from San Jose Diridon to Downtown Campbell (great rest and eating spot)

4) Caltrain Baby Bullet Express to SF (starts running around 4 PM until 6:30 PM)

You can ride on the Muni system from Caltrain back downtown or on another day. This is the "Ring Around the Bay" and you'll get a real good flavor of things...including the balkenization of transit in the Bay Area. Each system has its own fare medium avalaible at the station.

#517660  by scoopernicus_in_Maine

1) BART to Richmond

2) Capitol Corridor (Amtrak) from Richmond BART [easy connection] to San Jose Diridon Station - need to check

3) VTA LRT from San Jose Diridon to Downtown Campbell (great rest and eating spot)

4) Caltrain Baby Bullet Express to SF (starts running around 4 PM until 6:30 PM)
WIsh I had time to try that, but I have only one full day on my on in San Francisco, so I'm going to have to stay within city limits. I do plan on seeing both the cable car museum and the transit museum at some point, as well as the arboretum.