Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#47784  by JOHN TRICARCIO

so far twice this week 1st on the culvewr line tuesday morning
2 r40s 4809 4808 with 3 flats and 1 r127 in the back
now on wednesday i was at 46th st station on the V line
here come the slants 4808-4809 with 3 flats but this time
redbirds the 2 r33wf are trailing in the rear
and of course i didnt have my camera with me
must say what a nice combo of cars

good luck guys john tricarico brooklyn ny

#47960  by 7 Train

4808-9 are R42's. I don't know why they would be on a trash run-Redbirds (mostly R33WF's) usually haul garbage trains.

#48254  by Robert Paniagua

They should only be using retired car consists for that, NOT still active roster coaches. Although the last Redbird generation cars can be used, now that they are off-line, but the Silverbirds, as I call them, shouldn't be used for "trash runs".

#49070  by IslesFan

They will use revenue cars during the summer months sometimes(I'd think the workers would want some A/C once in a while).

#49123  by Robert Paniagua

Ok I get it then. That's a good idea if they wanna remain cool during the hot months, since the R36 and older models are also "hot boxes".

#49212  by JOHN TRICARCIO

opppppppsssss

that was 4408 &409 sorry about the number mixup

good luck john tricarico brooklyn ny

#49325  by 7 Train

They will use revenue cars during the summer months sometimes(I'd think the workers would want some A/C once in a while).".
Ok I get it then. That's a good idea if they wanna remain cool during the hot months, since the R36 and older models are also "hot boxes".
R33WF's are considered "hot cars", as they are the last to have ceiling fans. R36 have A/C, but since they tend not work as well as the ceiling fans, leaving the cars hot, they could be in a way be called "hot boxes".

#50215  by Robert Paniagua

Well guys, I finally saw that train before my eyes at around 4:35 earlier today while running on the non-revenue (center) track on the D-west end line, and I even took video of it heading northbound from the fuzzy railfan window of R68 2544 on a southbound D train which I was riding on. It was lead by the old R36 Pullmans with the 7-Times Square sign showing, then the dumpster cars, then those Slanted R40s that John Tricario was talking about. I said to myself, "that's the garbage train they (referring to you guys) talked about".

Isn't that ironic now, a rare chance for me to catch it!!