Railroad Forums 

• West Chester, PA - RR themed restaurant

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#253172  by Pacobell73

I have heard there is a great greasy spoon place in West Chester that has trains as a theme. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? :-D

#268628  by Pacobell73

No one, huh? :(

#268677  by pennsy

Hi,

Check the Yellow Pages of that township under restaurants. Should find something there. Chamber of Commerce for that town might also help.

#268722  by RichM

I was actually hoping you would get an answer too. Only place I've seen remotely close to West Chester is a diner between Downingtown and Coatesville along old 30, backs up to the tracks. I'd expected someone might know of a better place!

#268839  by Finch00

I live in west chester and i have no idea what you are refering too....the only diner i've never been to intown sits near the old ROW on gay street but i dont think its RR themed.
was actually hoping you would get an answer too. Only place I've seen remotely close to West Chester is a diner between Downingtown and Coatesville along old 30, backs up to the tracks. I'd expected someone might know of a better place!
if that is the place near thorndale R5 station with the old PRR caboose i have some bad news for you.

#268857  by RichM

OK, traffic on this board is slow anyway, ruin my day... what happened to the diner?

Rich

#269072  by Finch00

other then it looks like its falling down and there is a SOLD sign in front of it?

I guess there is a possablity it will be reopened....

#274605  by RichM

Hey, I just realized maybe I forgot the obvious, Paco... Could this place be Jimmy John's, the hot dog place on 202 just north of Route1?

#275663  by Pacobell73

Hey, RichM, it might be. All I know is that the restaurant is train-themed, and a fun little greasy spoon. It may be gone now, for all I know.

#275776  by RichM

No, it's still there, it's sort of a local institution. I'll commit a mortal sin and say I don't like the dogs there, but many of the old-time locals swear by it. I'm fuzzy on the exact location, I'm going to give you old man's directions... but it's on the northbound side of 202, north of route 1, south of Otto's BMW and the Comfort Inn. If you get to the Wawa on the southbound side of 202 as you approach route 1, you went too far. It's in a narrow building right up aginst the road, looks like it may have been a bank at one time, there's an old drive-in window slot there that's unused. The parking lot is on the south side of the building, you might drive past it before you see it.

The more I think about it, this has gotta be the place, there are O scale trains running around the ceiling, a lot of prints and stuff on the walls.

Don't eat more than one hot dog.

#276878  by Pacobell73

I drive down US 202 every day, so I will be looking for it. Thanx! :-D

#493120  by Red Arrow Fan

Finch00 wrote:I live in west chester and i have no idea what you are refering too....the only diner i've never been to intown sits near the old ROW on gay street but i dont think its RR themed.
was actually hoping you would get an answer too. Only place I've seen remotely close to West Chester is a diner between Downingtown and Coatesville along old 30, backs up to the tracks. I'd expected someone might know of a better place!
if that is the place near thorndale R5 station with the old PRR caboose i have some bad news for you.
That caboose in Thorndale (along Rt 30, across from the Acme shopping center) was an ice cream stand that closed about 12 years ago. (The sale sign says "move caboose to your location", or something like that.)

As someone else said, Jimmy John's hot dog diner sounds like the place the OP is looking for.

Also, about 20 years ago, I went to an Applebee's-type restaurant somewhere in Montgomery or Bucks County, PA ("Lederach" rings a bell, is there a town by that name?). They had model trains running along the divider between booths.

#493599  by Trails to Rails

Well it isn't trains it's trolleys and it sure isn't West Chester but both of the Casey's Restaurants in Delaware County have lots of Red Arrow pictures and other stuff adorning their walls.

Many years ago after I became fascinated with the pictures; the owner introduced himself and GAVE me an "extra" subway strap like the type they have around the bar in the Drexel Hill location.

The Drexel Hill location is at 812 N. Lansdowne Ave @ State & Lansdowne Roads; in the footprint of the old car wash if any of you remember that. There is another Casey's @ 3531 West Chester Pike in Newtown Square in that busy strip shopping center on the north side of the Pike between Brwn Mawr Ave & 252.

Oh yea, the food ain't half bad either.

:wink: