Railroad Forums 

• GECX 4400

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#462432  by MEC407

http://www.railpictures.net/images/imag ... .82106.jpg

Some sort of test unit at Erie. Anybody know any details?

#462632  by Allen Hazen

What it's being used to test NOW I have no idea, but this looks like the original AC44CW prototype (original road number 2000) built in 1993.(*)
There's a photo of this unit, taken February 1994) inside the front cover of "Extra 2200 South" issue #102, and it looks as if it is still carrying basically the same paint scheme (cab-side number 4400 added) as it wore on its early 1994 road tests. (A color scheme, b.t.w., that I think was simpler and cheaper than, but clearly inspired by, the award winning design used on Amtrak's P32-8W units a few years earlier: red and blue ribbons on a silver background substituting for the very complex striping of the Amtrak units.)
--
Spotting marks: eight engine-compartment doors on each side: so, an FDL-powered unit and not a GEVO. Short wheelbase (ex-Canadian, "Dofasco" style) trucks: these were used on GE #2000 when built, have never as far as I know been used on other big GE hoods (used on the C40-8M cowl units for CN and BCR), and I think they are dimensionally different enough from the other trucks GE has used that major frame modifications would be necessary to switch. So I'm pretty sure of the identification. ... But, as I said, I don't know what GE is currently using it for. Probably-- since it's what seems to be being changed out in the photo you posted-- something for which working dynamic brakes are desirable.

#465103  by ATK

Yes, this unit is the AC4400 prototype. Another bastardized locomotive. Its had every modification under the sun done to it. What you are probably looking at in the picture is another modification being installed so that the modification can be tested and validated before the documentation is finalized and then released to the customer.

#476827  by tomjohn

ATK wrote:Yes, this unit is the AC4400 prototype. Another bastardized locomotive. Its had every modification under the sun done to it. What you are probably looking at in the picture is another modification being installed so that the modification can be tested and validated before the documentation is finalized and then released to the customer.
I think we could say "bass...sized to GE'S prototype AC 6000 "THE GREEN MACHINE" as well , I thought is too big at the time .

Tom

#489943  by Denny

Yes, this is the original AC4400 prototype. It was originally dubbed the "Stealth" locomotive as it was painted a dark gray as was the original B-1 bomber. I spent many hundreds of hours either in the operators cab or on test trains in the GE Test Car behind it running engineering tests on this beast over a period of about 6 years before I retired in 2000. I don't know what has happened to it since then. I do get back to the Erie plant about once a summer when I'm up there(live in Florida now)but due to increased security since 9/11, it is not easy to get access to all areas of the plant even for former employees.

#489945  by MEC407

Thanks very much for the information, Denny, and welcome to the forum! It's always a treat to have knowledgeable GE folks join us.