Railroad Forums 

• Ease of handicapped transfer at 30th Street?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#45893  by bellstbarn

A friend of mine, up in years and with walking difficulties, hopes to ride Amtrak NY-to-Philadelphia, then transfer to the Airport R1. I see that the Septa timetable indicates wheelchair accessibility at 30th Street and at the airport (where she is attending a reunion in a hotel). My memory of the condition of 30th Street Septa platform a year ago is foul (broken glass, etc.). I am urging taxi from Amtrak to the airport hotel. Am I right that the Septa accessibility is daunting? Do seniors have to use the ticket machine in advance for the $1 fare? Thanks.

#45913  by JeffK

I've used the R1 for 2 airport trips this year. The platforms are hardly pristine but I did not encounter major crud accumulations or other obstacles.

A taxi is certainly convenient but would be very expensive. I also don't know how much the city has managed to control some of the more egregious ripoffs such as going to the airport via Manayunk, and such. It might be worthwhile contacting the hotel to see if they have a shuttle service or could recommend one of the limo services that might be cheaper.

If she does opt for the R1 a lot depends on whether she is travelling with someone who can help navigate. There are elevators at 30th St. that will connect between Amtrak and the SEPTA platforms on the upper level. While I'm not handicapped, I had a pile of bags on one trip and opted for the lifts. I didn't have any trouble dealing with them but they are somewhat out of the way and cramped.

The issue at the Airport end is getting from the platform to the hotel. The R1 platform is only indirectly connected to the terminal. I'm not sure if there is any way to go directly to the ground transportation areas - is anyone else familiar with that possibility?

If there is no direct route to the taxi/shuttle areas, you would have to take an elevator up to a pedestrian bridge which provides access to the main terminal buildings, and then back down.

I do not remember whether the special $1 fare is available at the machines. I'd advise going to the ticket window at 30th Street to inquire rather than taking a chance of making arrangements on board. I've seen more than a few misunderstandings that could have been avoided by a trip to the ticket agent first.

Unfortunately provisions for handicapped access often seem to be a bit like counting lifeboats on the Titanic - the letter of the law is met, but not the spirit.

#46029  by bellstbarn

I am most grateful for JeffK's detailed answer to my question about 30th Street. The description confirmed that we should drive her door-to-door, as she has such limited walking capability. Many thanks for shedding light on the "accessibility" question.

#46221  by JeffK

And I thank you for the compliment!

I find myself in a dilemma, actually recommending that someone not use public transit, but given your circumstances I don't see an alternative.

I spent 3 weeks leading my ~80-year-old mother around various European countries that clearly didn't have local versions of ADA, so I'm very sensitized to accessibility issues.

#47274  by Sean@Temple

The regional rail platforms at 30th street are in great condition. They are clean and the elevators are right there next to the west side stairs for each of the three platforms. The Amtrak elevators are a little out of the way but there should be someone there to help. But ultimately in the situation you are describing I would only do it if the hotel was the one that is directly linked to the airport and thus the R1 station. I think it is the Mariot but I am not sure. The funny thing about cabs is that if you take it from 30th street, they run the meter but if you take it from just acrross the river it is a flat rate. It makes no sense.

Sean@Temple