Railroad Forums 

• Massive derailment Painesville, Ohio

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#457074  by JimBoylan

It's not just CSX. A recent NTSB preliminary review of the S.E.P.T.A. head-on collision between Roslyn and Crestmont, Pa. (CSXT runs the freight there) mentions that S.E.P.T.A. dispatchers don't have time to answer crews, etc. because they cover 2 different desks or dispatching positions.

#457157  by conrail_engineer

roadster wrote:Spoke with co-worker. crew was pulling, slack stretched, at about 44mph, Clears at both Cp 155 and CP 154. Felt a sudden tug and air dumped. crew turned around to see fireball. No Dsipatcher issues. Continues to be under investigation. A pull apart joint is suspect.
Interesting. The guy I was working with the night of the accident, was a friend of the engineer; he claims to have gotten a cell-phone call from him after it happened. The story he told me was that they were on the approach at 155.

I know the conductor, although I don't often see him. If and when he marks up (he's eligible to retire; and he might just say the hell with it) and I see him in the locker room, I'll ask.

Amazing how these rumors get started. It's not the first time I've seen TOTALLY wrong information put out as fact. Who's got the truth? You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

#457294  by charlie6017

Good photo here while tankers were still burnin'. Look like mostly rural land around the derailment site. Tell me....how long can CSX dodge the bullet until something like that happens right at a busy grade crossing? Or someone's kitchen or living room?

#457712  by Browns Town

Well, ha, they did just escape a HUGE bullet. See that pic right there? ^

That bridge to the left, juuuuuuuust on the other side of it is a HUGE chemical plant named Lubrizol. I mean, we're talking a 1/4 mile? 1/2 mile at the most? Whew!

#457984  by CSX Engineer 98

is it cleaned up and are trains running through yet..?

Thanks

#457989  by SimTrains

Frankly I'm sick of hearing this...Believe it or not other railroads have derailments too.
how long can CSX dodge the bullet until something like that happens right at a busy grade crossing? Or someone's kitchen or living room?
Dodge a bullet??? Has everyone already forgotten about the little incident in downtown Baltimore? CSX ended up paying out $2 million to the city of Baltimore for crippling the city for a week.

Again, all railroads have derailments, and all railroads have areas where the track may need a little work.

#457991  by Noel Weaver

SimTrains wrote:Frankly I'm sick of hearing this...Believe it or not other railroads have derailments too.

Again, all railroads have derailments, and all railroads have areas where the track may need a little work.
I doubt if all railroads have track problems like CSX has. I also doubt if
the Florida East Coast has any slow orders due to neglect and maybe the
Norfolk Southern too except possibly on lightly used branch lines.
Noel Weaver

#458002  by lvrr325

The FEC has like 200 miles or so of railroad to worry about in a state that rarely if ever sees temperatures below freezing. Doesn't seem a fair comparison to the behemoth CSX system.

NS is a more fair comparison, but I sincerely doubt you can find a mainline corridor on their system with no slow orders at all. The only difference is, they haven't dumped a train lately that resulted in a fireball - but they have in the past.

#458022  by charlie6017

I think this has pretty much been beat to death..........CSX has cleaned up the Painesville site and trains are running again. If anyone has anything significant to add, please PM me.