Railroad Forums 

• foreign power at wells, me

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#45276  by hh660

Wednesday I was traveling Amtrak to Boston from Portland and noticed a train headed west waiting at the passing siding in Wells. The power consisted of (3) csx engines and (1) blue conrail engine. No clue as to the type. It was interesting to see the csx again.
Also, as a side note, when we were traveling through Rigby, I spotted a gp7 ( or ( 9 ) in the yard.
During the trip to boston we indeed hit the 79 mph as promised-although only on certain stretches. Very smooth, the trees close to the track flew by.

re

#45368  by railfancurtis

great sighting. did you note if they had the Comfort Cab if you saw the front (because that would probably mean they were dash 9s) or did they have the standard EMD spartan cab?

also i don't think there are any gp 7s remaining on the currant roster. you probably say a gp9 which are nearly identical.
 #45430  by MEC407

railfancurtis wrote:also i don't think there are any gp 7s remaining on the currant roster. you probably say a gp9 which are nearly identical.
Actually, there are two GP7s still on the roster: ST 12 (GP7R, ex-MEC 592) and ST 15 (GP7, ex-MEC 568). These units usually stay in or near Waterville. ST 12 made it down to Wells a few months ago on the Wells Industrial Park switcher job.

#45440  by NellsChoo

May I ask why CSX would be in southern Maine? I thought that was only Guilford territory.

#45493  by wolfmom69

NellsChoo;It is called "run through power". Guilford crew on the engine. RRs swap "horsepower hours" all the time! Guilford owed so many "hours' that the GP-40s. #380 and the "low head light",#381,were on foreign rails for about a year! Bud