Railroad Forums 

• Maine Eastern Railroad F40 unveiling

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#38121  by Steam

Hey, Dutchrailnut, why the negativity so early-on? You know something we don't?

#38139  by DutchRailnut

you guys see one pretty painted passenger train and assume they can run a railroad???
As railroad employee I am questioning the wisdom of the statement that they should run the Downeaster, other than fact that pictures may look prettier.

#38158  by Steam

Things for the most part have been so negative for so long, regarding passenger trains in northern New England, that you can't blame folks for getting excited when something finally happens which seems hopeful. For goodness sake don't rain on the parade the minute it steps off!

I think we all are aware of the pitfalls, but let's give this a chance to bloom before we stomp on it.

Onward & Upward!
 #38544  by pablo

Since the M&E is somehow affiliated, I expect it will be just as professionally run and successful as the M&E itself. These gentlemen know what they are doing. And if there's a woman involved somewhere, i apologize. I also said the WNYP would be running through trains, too...and some people laughed. For whatever that's worth.

Dave Becker

#38626  by NellsChoo

Just saw the photos... I like the paint scheme. Sure beats the bland Downeaster one. I don't know a whole lot about the actual train, but I agree that NE railfans have so little to grab hold of that is new and different, let them get excited! I'm sort of new at all this, and think Guilford is pretty neat to watch because there's not much left in my area. Geesh, to me a CSX engine is a pleasure to see! Just think how we would ALL feel if Guilford started allowing charter excursions on their MA rails! I think a few of us would faint dead away...

#40897  by thebigham

I do not like that paint scheme at all. Especially the white...

Chris

#41002  by Steam

It looks sharp now, but will have to be maintained. The white will get dirty very quickly and need to be washed regularly. Time will tell.

The colors are suggestive of the old Southern Railway passenger colors. Obviously the F40s are more angular than the old F and E units were, so the sharp dip in the green at the rear of the unit to the window level of the coaches fits in with the overall shape of the locomotive.

The lettering on the sides is perhaps a bit too large, but they're trying to promote a new name, so it's forgiveable.

Let's see what all this looks like a year from now, or how the train itself is faring, for that matter. There's a lot more at stake here than a paint job.

#42500  by Steam

A friend rode the Lobster Festival special last weekend and said it was terrific! I believe the train sold out each day, or close to it. Not one negative comment was heard by him, either from riders or lineside spectators whom he talked to. If the trips scheduled for the balance of this season continue to do well, then I believe it's safe to say that service will be expanded next year. This is one of the brightest beacons of hope in northern New England rail circles since the inauguration of the "Downeaster".

#42549  by raced1111

On July 16th, I caught these units idling in Allentown, PA yard. Morristown & Erie RS-11m 7215 with the two freshly painted Maine Eastern F40's. Sandwiched between them was a diner car, also in new ME paint. I know that they had departed that morning, but why did they go to Allentown first? What route did they take to get up north?

#42561  by metman499

I think that they went via the CP/DH north to Guilford and then Maine from Allentown. They were spotted in Taylor so that routing makes sense.
 #42627  by henry6

Got to see trains up and down on Fri, Sat, and Sun from Bath to Nobleston (I think...at the siding where the CN units are stored). Full train, nice looking, always on time, passengers or friends of passengers had high praise (even a trio of females on Sunday whoe were high themselves!). All special moves should look and run so well. Morristown and Erie always has been a class operattion and has always worked closely with NJT. If there is a future in special passenger service on that line, it is in the right hands.

#43998  by Steam

We saw the Maine Eastern passenger train this past weekend on the way to the Annual Picnic at the WW&F Museum in Wiscaset. Caught the train at Brunswick just before it left for Rockland at 9AM. Followed it to Bath and Wiscasset. Virtually nobody on board this week, as compared with last week's Lobster Festival trains. No signs in place on the roads, and no advertising yet. They'll have to do lots of promotion outside the area to keep the train filled and avoid another "Champlain Flyer" fiasco. Train looked great, and really toodles along on that new track! Some great places along the way to photograph it.
 #44006  by henry6

MARKETING...MARKETING...MARKETING...MARKETING...MARKETING!

Schedule........frequency.......price..........advertising.......promotion

SERVICE........SERVICE.......SERVICE.....SERVICE..........SERVICE!
 #44824  by trainsinmaine

Class act, indeed! I was in Rockland today and saw the engines and cars. Beautiful! --- not to mention the track, which is in splendid condition.
I haven't had a chance to ride the train yet, but will within the next few weeks. A friend of mine, a long-time, seasoned and knowledgeable railfan, did so last week and said it was one of the most enjoyable excursions he'd ever had.
 #44923  by MEC407

trainsinmaine wrote:Class act, indeed! I was in Rockland today and saw the engines and cars. Beautiful! --- not to mention the track, which is in splendid condition.
I haven't had a chance to ride the train yet, but will within the next few weeks. A friend of mine, a long-time, seasoned and knowledgeable railfan, did so last week and said it was one of the most enjoyable excursions he'd ever had.
It might be a nice idea to send a quick e-mail to Morristown & Erie, telling them what you just told us. I'm sure they would appreciate the positive feedback! :)