Railroad Forums 

• Selkirk yard Dispatcher

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#428822  by izzy1975

My question is why am I hearing Selkirk Dispatcher. I know i have a good scanner and antenna but not that good. Are they running repeaters or what. Im hearing all of this 160.800 which I know is VHF high, and the waves are longer but i still should not be hearing these guys. I know it isnt skip either, but i guess anything is possible. Oh yeah I live in Mexico NY and selkirk yard is about 250-300 miles away!

#428827  by clearblock

Selkirk dispatches the entire Albany Division. There are remote base stations about every 20-30 miles along the lines.

The Selkirk "NE" Dispatcher for the Baldwinsville, Fulton and St Lawrence Subs has base stations at Woodard, Fulton, Pulaski and Watertown in your immediate area.

#429162  by Conrail4evr

Clearblock has it correct. The dispatchers are located in Selkirk and they are required to identify themselves on the radio (IE "CSX NF Selkirk Answering The Rochester Radio Base, Over").

Out of curiosity, what scanner/antenna combo are you using?

re

#429250  by izzy1975

Clearblock, thank you - that answer it completely. I didnt realize they had sub stations or remote base stations so close to me. That explains why i hear them so well.

Conrail, I have a Uniden BCT-8 and BCD996T along with a Workman Discone up about 55 ft

Thanks to the both of ya

#432138  by kitn1mcc

the Discone makes an excellent VHF antenna
 #432146  by izzy1975

Yeah it is great for VHF, never had a problem, its been up there for about 5 years and has taken a beating thru our rough winters. I had to put it up high cause im on the side of a hill. I hear what I need to hear. I hear the RR Dispatcher and some of the trains, I defenitly need to here all the fire and ems calls, and I hear the police. Good enuff for me

#438701  by CSX Conductor

Since everybody who needs to know knows where our dispatchers are located I don't understand why CSXT insists on making the dispatchers include their location.......just more wasted radio time. Oh, wait, I forgot, the dispatchers and the trains aren't one the same channel anymore!!! :(