Railroad Forums 

• security on abandoned ROW

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#436979  by joshua_ostroff

Hi there - I am new to this forum, and I hope this is a good place to ask this question. I am in Natick, MA where CSX recently abandoned the Saxonville Branch. It may be converted to a rail trail, although we are also exploring transit options. I am on the elected Board of Selectmen in my community.

The rails and ties are almost all removed, and the Town now seeks to secure the ROW against motorized vehicles (e.g. ATVs) and/or illegal dumping.

CSX does not appear to have any interest in securing the ROW or in posting signs. I would be curious to know if they have ever done so in similar situations. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Josh
 #437103  by scharnhorst

joshua_ostroff wrote:Hi there - I am new to this forum, and I hope this is a good place to ask this question. I am in Natick, MA where CSX recently abandoned the Saxonville Branch. It may be converted to a rail trail, although we are also exploring transit options. I am on the elected Board of Selectmen in my community.

The rails and ties are almost all removed, and the Town now seeks to secure the ROW against motorized vehicles (e.g. ATVs) and/or illegal dumping.

CSX does not appear to have any interest in securing the ROW or in posting signs. I would be curious to know if they have ever done so in similar situations. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Josh
When a railroad abandoneds an ROW they eather:

1.) Remove the rails and ties to lesson the property taxes but retain the rights to relay track if they see fit.

2.) Option 2 Remove the rails and ties walk away from the property and sell or auction off all assets to private land owners or to public utility for reuse.

Its up to whom ever you work for to ask the railroad what they plan to do with the ROW and so forth. Be aware that depending on where you are that your state might do an impact study and you may end up dealing EPA and there studys on the land in question before reuse.

#437675  by CSX Conductor

security? lol.

We don't even have any ways of "securing" main lines and yards. What makes you think that the company is going to waste money on "securing" a line that they get rid of?!?

CSX= Co$t Savings eXtroardinares. :P

#437677  by joshua_ostroff

I have been told as much - that CSX is highly unlikely to secure this property. But if they have ever done so in the past, or have cooperated in such an effort, that would be very helpful to know.

Thanks,

Josh

#437684  by Otto Vondrak

Josh,

If the property becomes a rail trail, most likely CSX will no longer have ownership of the property, and therefore, has no interest in securing it. Security would be the responsibility of the governing body- the parks department, or whoever operates the trail.

Just because there aren't signs posted doesn't mean trespassing laws can't be enforced. Past that, what kind of security did you have in mind?

-otto-

#437687  by joshua_ostroff

Otto,

For background (which may be helpful to some readers as this line has been written about a few times over the past year since abandonment) negotiations with CSX to acquire the ROW are just beginning. They had an appraisal done for the 2.5 miles (about 20 acres including 2 spurs and another acre adjoining the ROW) at $14.5 million. The Town is obtaining another appraisal. Based on the experience of other communities that process could take years.

We seek to secure the ROW primarily against dumping and ATVs, and to ensure that no one drives on the bridge over a state highway, or uses it as a traffic shortcut. Non-motorized use is not really a town concern. The ROW goes past a lake and other sensitive areas, and we don't want to invite or field complaints about noise, litter, etc. The security we have in mind (barriers and gates to provide for emergency access) is interim, though it may need to last for a few years.

If and when the ROW becomes a rail trail, it will also have security, but that's some ways off. For that stage, the town will develop a security plan with input from public safety, residents and other interest parties.

I'm glad to address other questions in this or another thread. The Task Force appointed by the Town has a web page at http://natickma.gov/crt

Josh

#438022  by Red Wing

Work with your Local EPO officer they are the primary enforcement agency for ATV regulations also I believe that line goes next to or through a DCR park contact them and see how they secure a right of way and if there are any grants to help with it. For dumping if it's an issue work with the DEP they have done a good job at preventing dumping in known dumping locations.

But of course make sure you own the land first.