Railroad Forums 

• Ethanol Trains On CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#416640  by pablo

Quite a bit goes to Albany to the port, from what I understand.

Dave Becker

#416666  by Conrail4evr

A few also go to NJ. If I recall correctly, they come from the ICE, CP, and UP.

#416690  by railohio

Some also come from the Iowa Interstate and/or New Rock Subdivision as well.

#417564  by Will_S

IAIS and New Rock are pretty much one and the same. They're building an ethanol plant in Seneca along the New Rock, so expect more trains originating there.

#417851  by Cowford

As Pablo stated, a good deal goes to the Cibro Terminal in the port of Albany. Typically, unit trains are built in (or west of) Chicago and move over the water-level route. From Albany, it's either trucked to local destinations or barged to NY/NJ, taking advantage of the empty backhaul of northbound gasoline barges. This is in competition to NS's primary northeast destination in Seawaren, NJ. Also, if it hasn't started already, PW will be moving ethanol to RI, most likely from CSX interchange.

#417862  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Cowford wrote: Also, if it hasn't started already, PW will be moving ethanol to RI, most likely from CSX interchange.

it has not started yet, the facility is still being worked on, i believe the track is complete

#431253  by lakeshoredave

I heard that CSX is going to start running even more Ethanol traffic....like 1-2 per day on the mainline across Upstate NY.

#431339  by wmmanager

we get one a week through southern WV, usually with run-through Uncle Pete power.

Loyd L.

#431511  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Cowford wrote: Also, if it hasn't started already, PW will be moving ethanol to RI, most likely from CSX interchange.

it has not started yet, the facility is still being worked on, i believe the track is complete
the plant is open and receiving cars from the P&W , the cars are dropped off by Q423 at worcester, MA

#433507  by CSX Conductor

the plant is open and receiving cars from the P&W , the cars are dropped off by Q423 at worcester, MA
The P&W delivers the cars, CSXT only interchanges w/ the P&W @ Worcester.

Q422 is the eastbound & Q423 westbound, which are the trains that interchange with the P&W for the majority of their cars, except for intermodal.

I also noticed this morning that a unit ethanol train of about 85 cars came east yesterday. Symbol was K668-08. I'm not sure as of right now how often these trains will be running.

#433543  by Wanderer

Conrail4evr wrote:A few also go to NJ. If I recall correctly, they come from the ICE, CP, and UP.
As far as CSX is concerned, they all originate at Blue Island. The four symbols to/from for New Jersey all originate/terminate at Seawaren, NJ on Conrail.