Railroad Forums 

• The GE locomotives What model?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#424659  by Allen Hazen

This locomotive is at a mine in China, no?
I believe it started out life as a U33C (3300 hp, with a 16-cylinder GE FDL engine), built for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad in about 1970. When it was retired (probably in the 1980s, after the Erie Lackawanna had been merged into Conrail), it was rebuilt by GE (not at the Erie locomotive plant, but at a GE facility in Cleveland, Ohio) with an 1800hp Cummins diesel engine (the engine model chosen in part because the mine already had similar engines in some of its trucks).
The area at the rear, around the radiators, has been rebuilt to a configuration similar to that on GE's U30C and U23B locomotives: as originally built (if I am right in thinking it started as a U33C) it would have had overhanging ("wingspan") radiators.

(My information comes from a brief note in an issue of "Extra 2200 South," a magazine devoted to locomotive news, about the time it was rebuilt. And my memory may not be 100%....)

(THanks for posting the pictures: it is an unusual unit, and I'm happy to see more of it.)

#424700  by lianbutongmy

Currently working in China ANTAIBAO opencast mine .
China and Occidental Petroleum Corp. joint venture

#425381  by Allen Hazen

Thanks!
"An Tai Bao" sounds familiar: I think that was what the "Extra 2200 South" news item said they (I think maybe three units were done? but I'm even less sure of that than I am of the rest!) rebuilt for. (I think the magazine spelled it as three words, as was traditional for transliteration of Chinese, but it may well be spelled as one word-- the way you have it-- in the modern official scheme (Pinyin) for Romanization.)