Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#99896  by LI Loco

Yesterday, I spotted a CP freight crossing New York's Hell Gate Bridge coming from Fresh Pond to Hunts Point shortly after 5 pm. It was hauled by two locomotives (probably SD-40s) and had between 15 and 20 cars, the last half dozen or so being empty TOFC flat cars.

Questions:
  • Is Canadian Pacific offering piggyback service to Long Island?
    If so, where and how are the trailers loaded and unloaded off the train?
(Will post also on New York & Atlantic forum)

#105206  by LI Loco

Saw the CP on Hell Gate again yesterday. Two SD-40s; one lettered SL&H. Two tank cars, six flats hauling retired LIRR M-1s.

How much longer will CP shareholders allow this operation to continue? How can CP be making money on such short consists? Remember, this train runs to Saratoga Springs with no intermedate business.

#105232  by johnpbarlow

Doesn't CP pick up/drop cars at Oak Point yard?

#122988  by DogBert

Cp picks up/drops off box cars of newsprint at oak point. From what i know it's at least a few cars per trip.

The trains are a bit heavier in the summer months with ballast cars from LIRR, usually in the 20-30 car range. there was some other rock traffic in old Soo line cars but I haven't seen those cars in a long while.

One just left town with a 35 car train, 30 of which were ballast cars.

NY&A is doing a good job getting more freight on LI, so it's probably worth CP's effort to keep the train running in the long run.

#354664  by the missing link

the flats are for the retired lirr m-1s' going upstate for parting out/scrapping.

#373411  by grumpyoldman

I hung out at Broadway in Elmhurst from 4:00 to 5:30 today hoping to catch the D&H 417 but it was a no-show. The last info I had was that it ran on MWF with the crew going on duty at Fresh Pond at 4:00 PM.

Is that still true?

Anyway, it wasn't a total loss. I got a decent picture of the Hell Gate Bridge in the late afternoon light.

John

#377403  by N221UA

grumpyoldman wrote:I hung out at Broadway in Elmhurst from 4:00 to 5:30 today hoping to catch the D&H 417 but it was a no-show. The last info I had was that it ran on MWF with the crew going on duty at Fresh Pond at 4:00 PM.

Is that still true?

Anyway, it wasn't a total loss. I got a decent picture of the Hell Gate Bridge in the late afternoon light.

John

It is still true, but the day you went just happens the D&H was delayed. :)

I would say MOST of the time is a hit or miss, but MWF 4-6 are your best bet. I STILL want to get a decent shot of D&H from Roosevelt Ave. overpass.