Railroad Forums 

• Trolleys/Streetcars that were in Saugus, MA?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#413932  by sixflagscoasters

I was wondering if anyone has information on the Trolleys/streetcars that ran in Saugus, MA?

For example:

1. What types of Trolleys/streetcars ran in Saugus?

2. What type of power did they use? Was it trolley wire or horse power?

3. What company owned the tracks and trolley cars?

4. What did the destination or rollsigns say on the trolleys?

5. What was the destination and stations on the routes?

6. What did the track layout look like? Do you have a track map of the routes and yards/car barns, and loops?

7. How much did it cost to ride the trolleys?

If no one knows any of the answers, do you know where I could find all of this information and more?

Thanks for your time and help.
Bill
 #413947  by Leo Sullivan

Saugus was served by most of the car types owned by the Eastern Massachusetts St. Ry. and its predecessors. They all ran on around 550v D.C. power, the standard for street railways. Most lines were originally horse operated. The original companies I do not know but, by 1889, they all belonged to the Lynn & Boston RR. Later that company and several others, became the Boston & Northern St. Ry. Later, the B&N combined with the Old Colony st. Ry. to become the Bay State St. Ry., the largest in the US (PE had more track but the Bay State had more route miles) after 1919 the company became the Eastern Massachusetts St. Ry. and the abandonment of trolleys began.
There were many lines and very many destinations for cars in Saugus,
more than I know or could record here. Fares were 'zone' fares from 5c up. Cars of the Lynn, Wakefield and Chelsea divisions ran in or through Saugus. some continuing over Boston Elevated Railway track into Boston.
LS

1. What types of Trolleys/streetcars ran in Saugus?

2. What type of power did they use? Was it trolley wire or horse power?

3. What company owned the tracks and trolley cars?

4. What did the destination or rollsigns say on the trolleys?

5. What was the destination and stations on the routes?

6. What did the track layout look like? Do you have a track map of the routes and yards/car barns, and loops?

7. How much did it cost to ride the trolleys?

If no one knows any of the answers, do you know where I could find all of this information and more?

Bill[/quote]

#413971  by sixflagscoasters

Thanks for all of the info.

Do you know were you got the info?

Do you know any good books and web sites that have detailed info and pictures on the Saugus, MA Trolley Lines?

Bill

#414158  by Gerry6309

I am familiar with both the Seashore and BSRA library collections, and I have never seen anything with much detail on Saugus. The various publications by the Connecticut Valley Chapter, NRHS might have some information, but I don't have an index.

#414218  by sixflagscoasters

Gerry6309 wrote:I am familiar with both the Seashore and BSRA library collections, and I have never seen anything with much detail on Saugus. The various publications by the Connecticut Valley Chapter, NRHS might have some information, but I don't have an index.

Do you know the web site for the Connecticut Valley Chapter, and the web site for the Library Databases for Seashore and BSRA?

Bill

#415270  by Gerry6309

sixflagscoasters wrote: Do you know the web site for the Connecticut Valley Chapter, and the web site for the Library Databases for Seashore and BSRA?
I have a database for the BSRA Library Collection on my other computer, which includes most of the CVCNRHS publications. I will tape a look in the next couple of days.

The Chapter is related to Connecticut Trolley Museum, so they may have copies of some pubs still available for sale.

http://www.ceraonline.org/t2.htm

Seashore has a very extensive library collection which is largely undocumented. George Sanborn was their Librarian (and the MBTA's) but he's now severely disabled. I don't think there is anyone with complete knowledge of what is there.

http://www.trolleymuseum.org

Bob Fitzgerald of the BSRA has a good index of our Rollsign Magazine in his computer. I will email him and see what he can come up with for Saugus. If we can find some articles you can buy available issues for $1.50. Articles from issues out of print can be photocopied from either my personal collection or the Library. I will email Bob asap.

#415347  by sixflagscoasters

Thanks, I cant wait to see what you can find!

Bill Fitzgerald (sixflagscoasters)
 #415696  by russp

Several streetcar routes passed thru the Town of Saugus over the years. Until 1918, these included:
Stoneham Square / Melrose - Salem (v. Lynn)
Reading - Swampscott / Nahant (in summer)
North Saugus - Salem Willows (v. Peabody)
Malden - Salem v. Cliftondale
Saugus Center - Scollay Square
Beverley / Salem - Scollay Square
Marblehead / Lynn - Scollay Square
(the last 2 on private r.o.w. crossing the marshes in the extreme south end of town)

When the Eastern Massachusetts St. Ry. was formed to take over the Bay State St. Ry., the longer intercity routes from Lynn and Salem to Reading, Melrose, and Malden were discontinued in 1918-1920 as were the Salem - N. Saugus and Saugus - Boston routes. Afterwards, the routes serving Saugus included:
North Saugus - Salem Loring v. Lynnhurst (bussed 9/23/35)
Swampscott - Saugus Center / Cliftondale (bussed 6/6/37)
Salem - Boston
Lynn - Boston (cut back to Chelsea, then later bussed 2/20/37)

The EMSR frequently changed its through-routing combinations to meet ever changing traffic demands (even by time of day) so be aware that the above route pairs are not cast in stone, and other combinations probably existed.

Birney cars were used on some of the routes.

There were no car barns or shops in Saugus.

I have several maps of the street railway in Saugus, including a track map circa 1917. If you would like copies, contact me via e-mail off site, and I can snail-mail them to you (sorry, I'm computer challenged and don't have bells and whistles like scanners, digital cameras, etc). Be sure to include a reference to Saugus trolleys in the e-mail subject line.

#415814  by sixflagscoasters

Thanks for all of the info.

I have sent you an E-mail.

Bill