Railroad Forums 

• Speed limits and description for SPG-WRJ-STA line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#40519  by Robert Paniagua

Howdy all,

Does anyone here know what speed limits and description are in place for the Boston and Maine freight alignment between MM 61 (Springfield Amtrak Station) at B & A CP-98 thru Northampton and Mile marker 123 (White River Junction) all the way thru St. Albans, VT?

Since I wanted to railfan there someday, and maybe have a sneak preview of an upcoming train adventure.

I already have the speed limits for the lower portion from Mill River to SPG CP-98, all I need is the remainder to White River Jct and to St. Albans.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
 #40579  by xcnoah

The B&M (Guilford) essentially only owns until Greenfield, at which point the Conn. River Line becomes the New England Central Railroad. Guilford still has operating rights on the line as far north as White River Junction. Freight rail between White River Junction and St. Albans is operated and owned by New England Central ONLY.

Guilford only runs tri-weekly service from East Deerfield to WRJ and return. These freights run as symbols EDWJ and WJED respectively. In WRJ Guilford interchanges with Claremont and Concord, New England Central, and Vermont Rail Systems. They also interchange with VRS at Bellows Falls, VT.

The NECR line north from Greenfiled is as follows: HEads north through Brattleboro, VT on to BEllows Falls, where it crosses and interchanges with the VRS. The line then enters NH until Windsor VT. After WRJ (yard there, served by 4 frieght railroads) the line heads to Montpelier Junction (interchange with Washington County Railroad), Essex Junction (burlington branch divergence) and north to St. Albans.

NECR speed limits are 40 MPH frieght, and 59 MPH passenger (the Vermonter). Although some limited speed restrictions are usually in place in differing locations due to track work and track conditions.

The NECR operates one northbound and one southbound through frieght each way each day, symboled 323 & 324. Locals also operate from St. Albans south to Burlington and sometimes to Montpelier Junction.

WRJ features the most action with VRS weekday frieghts to and from Newport, VT, the Guilford trains to/from East Deerfield, C & C operations to LEbanon, NH, and 2 Amtrak trains. In additon to the NECR through frieghts, they often run a switcher at WRJ to perform local service.

#40580  by ProRail

I can give an idea of some of the ones on the B&M end but I don't have the exact mileposts in front of me. They do change as most railroads have track departments out doing patrols during the year and thus upgrade or downgrade track speeds.

Running North
Springfield to Holyoke: most 25 MPH with some spots 10 MPH
Holyoke to Northampton (Mt Tom Coal plant area) 25 MPH
Northampton to South Deerfield: mostly 25 MPH, again some spots 10 MPH
South Deerfield to the interlocking at bridge at East Deerfield: 10 MPH
Greenfield to Northfield: 10 MPH

From Northfield to White River Jct is governed by the NECR.

On the B&M side,
EDWJ runs north to White River on Mon, Wed, Fri and crew
returns as WJED on Tue, Thu, Sat. But sometimes they turn at Bellows Falls.

There is a local from East Deerfield to Northampton (stops just north of the power plant) that runs Monday to Friday but sometimes is subject to change if there is a coal train due at the power plant.

Once a week a job runs from Plainville, CT to East Deerfield, PLED and then returns as EDPL, but this now runs either at night or on Sundays. The local customers south of Northampton are switched by this train.

I have never had much luck chasing the NECR around since they run a good number of their trains at night on this line to avoid the Vermonter.

If you want to see trains on this line, best bet is Bellows Falls, VT / North Walpole, NH. There is usually something going on at yard for the Green Mountain (now VTR) where GRS's EDWJ/WJED stops to get cars.

#40768  by Robert Paniagua

Oh ok, thanks.

Maybe DutchRailnut could fill me in the rest of this alignment I was inquiring about. Since he has exact mileposts, and you have the top speeds, which are pretty slow in some cases.