Railroad Forums 

• Type of Connector?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#389234  by cifn2

I am looking to get myself a headset (phone style) or a handheld radio mic I can use in the case when the engine I am on doesn't have one. I cannot seem to find any one ebay, which have the connector I need, anyone familiar with the type of connector that railroads use on the external speaker on the conductor's side? What type of a connector is that?
 #389258  by Ken W2KB

cifn2 wrote:I am looking to get myself a headset (phone style) or a handheld radio mic I can use in the case when the engine I am on doesn't have one. I cannot seem to find any one ebay, which have the connector I need, anyone familiar with the type of connector that railroads use on the external speaker on the conductor's side? What type of a connector is that?
I don't know if railroad connectors are standardized, but you should be aware that besides the connector being proper, both the headphones and the mike need to be matched to the proper impedence and of the radio, the correct pins wired, as well as a couple of other considerations.

A good start would be to post here info such as the manufacturer and model number of the radio, and anything related you can find.

#389320  by cifn2

they have all been motorola radios..... the pin looks to be a 5-6 pin round, and plugs in then screws down tighter... that is all I can tell right now.... They make telephone type handsets because alot of the engines have them.

#389406  by clearblock

There is a standard AAR handset interface with a special 6 pin millitary type connector.

As Ken said, the microphone must be an appropriate type, you can't just use some ham or cb microphone by putting an AAR connector on it.

AAR telephone style handsets and hand microphones are available from Primus Electronics and possibly other railroad supply companies for about $75.

AAR handsets occasionally show up on eBay.