Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#214729  by tahawus84

Whats goin on up there? What building have come down so far?

#215070  by Trackmobile

Wait....I`m confused.I thought that NL still owned the mine and some land around the mine.If that is true then who is having the mine demolished,NL or the APA?

#215733  by Buffaloman

The demolition has ceased for the winter. Most of the buildings have been taken down already. The dry mill, sinter plant, machine shop, crusher buiding, screen plant, boiler house and locomotive shop have all been removed.
The wet mill is about two-thirds down. Demolition will start again in April and should be finished by the end of June. The office building, truck garage and work shop as well as the Foote Cottage will remain for the present time. Iron ore and cob rock will continue to be sold for the next year or two.
NL still owns the mine proper and about a thousand acres of the surrounding land. The rest has been purchased by the Open Space Institute. NL is the entity that has contracted for the demolition.
Buffaloman

#216092  by Trackmobile

Buffaloman wrote:NL is the entity that has contracted for the demolition.
Buffaloman
Why would they take down thier own buildings,was that part of the deal with OSI,or do they see no future in Tahawus as far as reopening the mine?

#216660  by Buffaloman

The buildings were in disrepair and were dangerous to the numerous trespassers entering the property.
Buffaloman

#217332  by tahawus84

I guess the rail line will be coming out in the near future also?

#224133  by soboyle

I guess the big green building with the marcy rod end mills is gone as well? A shame, what did they do with all the machinery that was in there, scrap it all?

#228348  by Buffaloman

The big green building (wet mill) is partially demolished. Demolition will resume on April 17. Some of the machinery was salvaged and sold, but the majority was scrapped. Although it was state of the art equipment at one time, most of it is now obsolete. The removal and setup is so expensive a company might as well buy new as to invest in 40 year old equipment.
The status of the railroad line may be changing. New York State is now interested in purchasing the rails and right-of-way. It is in this year's tentative budget, but has not yet been approved. I'll post additional information as I learn anything.
Buffaloman
 #243555  by Mad Dog Bill

Hey...I am pleased to read about the plow. I was told that it was bought by a guy in Albany to be restored! I made a video up of the Branch from my trackcar several years ago and took a lot of pictures and video including the plow (which you will note I left exactly in tact despite being in love with the horn and headlight, haha).
This is good news.
Years ago I bought an old logging wagon from a very old man in North Hudson that had a barn full of antiques (supplied the Frontier Town with antiques) and he sold the wagon with the promise that I would restore and preserve the wagon and not sell it...I am a man of my word!

#344359  by tahawus84

What is going to happen to the old flat car with the crane on it up there? who owns it? What was its purpose?