Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#294592  by Mem160

Hi

I am trying to represent a small version of KSI Industries on my HI layout.
I remember hearing the spur going into KSI Industries before the Bridge Apartments were built was very long and steep with tight curves, but can anyone remember if the track or tracks went inside the actual building to an interior loading dock or was it just an outside loading/unloading facility??

Thanks

Mark

#294670  by D&HFan

I believe they went inside the buildings, I can also remember a small switcher like a 55 ton GE but I cant swear to it for it was so long ago. If you call the Times Journal newspaper they shouyld have some sort of pictures or information.

#294827  by Mem160

Also, I though there was only a single track going inside there, was there more than one ?
 #295887  by march hare

The Fire Insurance map for 1927 (updated to 1945 with no changes) shows three sidings at what was then Harder Silo--later Klein Woodworking, later KSI.

The first came down from the D&H main on a steep, sharply curved alignment, then strainghtened out and ran in a narrow alley in between two of the main buildings. I'm not sure, but this alley may have been roofed over later.

The second broke off to the right (toward SUNY) just before it entered the above-mentioned alley.

The third was very short (two car lengths, maybe) and broke off the main siding to the left (away from SUNY) at the distant (ie south) end of the main siding, in between the two main buildings.

As of 1945, none of these were indoors. But like I said, the big long one may have been roofed over at some point.

I have an electronic copy of this map on my machine at home. Let me know if you want one and I'll send it along.

Somewhere in my B and W photo file, there's a 1974, slightly blurry, post-sunset shot of SU-2 working this siding. It's the only time I saw it worked--a low nose 5000 lifting an empty Cotton Belt plug door box. Alas, I have tried to find it with no luck so far.
 #295888  by march hare

The Fire Insurance map for 1927 (updated to 1945 with no changes) shows three sidings at what was then Harder Silo--later Klein Woodworking, later KSI.

The first came down from the D&H main on a steep, sharply curved alignment, then strainghtened out and ran in a narrow alley in between two of the main buildings. I'm not sure, but this alley may have been roofed over later.

The second broke off to the right (toward SUNY) just before it entered the above-mentioned alley.

The third was very short (two car lengths, maybe) and broke off the main siding to the left (away from SUNY) at the distant (ie south) end of the main siding, in between the two main buildings.

As of 1945, none of these were indoors. But like I said, the big long one may have been roofed over at some point.

I have an electronic copy of this map on my machine at home. Let me know if you want one and I'll send it along.

Somewhere in my B and W photo file, there's a 1974, slightly blurry, post-sunset shot of SU-2 working this siding. It's the only time I saw it worked--a low nose 5000 lifting an empty Cotton Belt plug door box. Alas, I have tried to find it with no luck so far.

#295989  by Mem160

Thanks alot for you response and info. I can only remember one track crossing MacArthur Ave over there.....I can't remember if after the track crossed the road if there was street track continously after the grade crossing, or if the tracks were just buried in dirt....also, I am thinking, after looking at the aerial photograph on terra server, if there was maybe a second floor on the first portion of the main building that had a very small section go over the track(s) where maybe it looked like from the street that it was an interior loading dock...

Thanks again,

...... Mark

#331903  by Mem160

One more thing, does anyone know what kind of building(s) are there at KSI Industries in Cobleksill? I know it's an old facility, but are the main parts of the building brick/block, or are they steel/aluminum?

Thanks again,

--- -- - Mark