Railroad Forums 

• Chicago Area Scanner Frequencies and hotspots??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#326876  by crazy_nip

I will be visiting the Chicagoland area (Oak Brook, IL.) next week and will have some spare time to do a little railfanning.

Any ideas on where to go? I will have a whole day I can dedicate + parts of a couple other days.

I will need scanner frequencies + any tips for hot spots. I was thinking about trying to get out to Blue Island, but dont want to sit for hours and not see anything.

Tips???

#326906  by CSX ENG

I would venture to say that every 15-20 minutes there is a train through Blue Island.......

#327500  by crazy_nip

looks like this snow storm is going to screw up my plans

I am supposed to fly out on Saturday

how about scanner freq's

#327919  by Tadman

Don't know about freq's, but check out the TT at www.metrarail.com - keep in mind both RI and Electric districts visit BI, and if you're with a car, both the IHB and BOCT have a bigass yard down the road, as well as the big junction that everybody loves. I had a customer right next to this junction, and watched trains from their lot, but he probably wouldn't like randoms standing around, and I dont' think the junction is that great anyway. Have lunch at the rail grill, right across Vermont from the IC station and to the east of the RI station. If you can, ride the RI one way and Electric the other way. Also, ride the RI mainline, not the branch, as that's slow and boring. (try it with a hangover... oy! all the stopping and starting will knock you out)