Railroad Forums 

• Moving Trains

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#313835  by powerpro69

OK, so I'm only a CIT with 3 months under my belt, but I just seem to get the impression that The Railroad isn't about moving trains anymore! :(
 #314042  by flynnt

powerpro69 wrote:OK, so I'm only a CIT with 3 months under my belt, but I just seem to get the impression that The Railroad isn't about moving trains anymore! :(
Hmmm...interesting...

#314149  by UPRR engineer

You'll be alot happier if you just show up and try to enjoy yourself while your there. Dont get sucked into the crap and bad attitudes. Too many guys think they would make a better train dispatcher or corridor manager, its there railroad, not ours. Let them run it the way they want to. LOL :-D

#314937  by powerpro69

Understood
 #314968  by GOLDEN-ARM

powerpro69 wrote:OK, so I'm only a CIT with 3 months under my belt, but I just seem to get the impression that The Railroad isn't about moving trains anymore! :(
You are absolutely right, though. The railroad isn't about moving trains, anymore. Railroads were chartered, to move people and freight, sometimes at great financial losses, to keep towns "alive". Safety is the buzzword, but the real business the carriers are in now, is generation of dividends. The stockholders must be appeased, at any and all costs. Movement of trains becomes secondary, when the people running the railroad, are fixated on cost controls, and maximizing shareholder profits. A far, far cry, from what railroads were chartered, and built, to do. Time was, when profits were only a bonus, and connecting places, and people, were the only priorities. :(
 #316227  by Robert Gift

What is a CIT?

I wish you all would explain these things for us ignorant slobs unfamiliar with all the terms and slang.

No, a lot is NOT in the slang book.

I would never have understood, and appreciated, "YMs talking as though they had mice in their pockets" had someone not explained.

Thanks,

#316241  by UPRR engineer

UP identifies these guys like this in our tie up. Not really slang, more like there shorthand.

CIT=Conductor In Training
BIT=Brakemen In Training
FIT=Firemen In Training

#316315  by SteelWheels21

All those fall under the general heading of "FNG", of course.

#316440  by GOLDEN-ARM

SteelWheels21 wrote:All those fall under the general heading of "FNG", of course.
.............. :P

#316443  by Robert Gift

OK G-A,
what is FEC of which you are moderator?

Of "FNG", does last mean, No Good?
--------------
Edited by UPRR

#316456  by GOLDEN-ARM

Short Arm? No idea why you imagine any part of this arm, is short. FEC? Maybe you need to move about in the forums, a little more. I'm a mod there, so it's not that hard, to move down the forums page, and make the connection. (your question didn't relate to drivers, bogies, carriages or wagons, so I felt okay in responding :P ) FNG? "NO" part of that, means "no good".................. :P TTFN, Bobb-O

#316465  by Robert Gift

OK, can someone interpret all of the above?

--------------
Edited by UPRR

#316663  by Nelson Bay

[quoteOK, can someone interpret all of the above?

quote]

FEC- East of FWC

FNG- Newer than FOG

Short arm- not a WMD

TTFN

#316676  by Robert Gift

LOL Thanks alot Bay.

--------------
Edited by UPRR

#316740  by vf1s

Don't forget RIT=Remote in Trainning.