Railroad Forums 

• Private car, Sandwich, Massachusetts

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#30632  by highrail

Near the sandwich station, at the Willow Street crossing, there is a private car tucked into a siding. It has been there for several years. There are no markings as the car has what appears to be a primer paint on it. I would guess that it is a post WW II combination coach sleeper...how close is my guess? Anyone familiar with the history of the unit?

Steve

#31434  by New Haven 1

I recall taking the Cape Central ride last year and inquiring about that car. The conductor I spoke to said it belongs to a couple nearby residents who bought it a few years back with the intent of restoring it. As you can see, there hasn't been much progress. Also, there is a vintage wooden caboose parked on a siding that breaks off the main in the area where route 149 meets route 6A. I happened to be lucky enough to find the owner whose house is right near it outside when I went searching for it. She gladly gave me a tour of it. It needs some work,but, is in fairly decent shape considering it's age. While the rails shortly after where the caboose is parked disappear into the dirt, you can also see that they were a freighthouse lead which makes their way over to where there is an old heavyweight baggage car spotted on the same siding. Inside this, at least at this time last year, was the Cape Cod model railroad layout which was open to the public seasonally on Fridays. I say at the time because I was told by the caboose owner that they were going to move the layout into the refurbished nearby station. I look forward to checking it out this year.
 #31453  by GP40MC1118

The sleeper "Cheyenne River" hasn't moved in decades and not
since it was spotted there.

Over at W.Barnstable, there are two cabooses and the baggage
car. The later and the caboose attached to it belong to the model
railroad club. The ex-D&H caboose is at the north end of the station
area.

Dave