Railroad Forums 

• GE rolls out 1000th Evolution Series loco

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#286325  by trainiac

Those sources you quote in your "babbling" are out dated with the GEVO engine.

My sources within GE are telling me that they have secured at least another 2000 GEVO orders on top of what has been delivered or is currently under construction.

If the current GEVO doesn't kill EMD, the half billion $$ they are putting into the hybrid version will.
You missed my point, though. I know and mentioned that those sources are not about the GEVO. My point was that although the GEVO is a new, clean, 4-cycle design, it simply won't magically reduce emissions to zero, and that, as emphasized by the EPA, both builders will have to move beyond tweaking existing engine and auxiliary technologies in face of 80-90% emissions reductions.

I'm leaving this debate alone now--this topic is supposed to be about the GEVO's (merited) success and not EMD vs GE.

#296862  by dave76

I bet all you GE "boys" on here would love to see EMD go under, then we wouldn't be having this discussion, GE could build all they want, and why worry about improving product design, at that point GEs fat assed execs could just sit back and reap in the profits, because hey, who's the railroads to buy from now, Alstom, lol. Hey listen EMD was bought out just a little over a year ago, I don't expect them to correct years of idiocy in one year. This company would not have invested over a billion dollars in a company that would go completely under. Lets face it if GE we not to make a profit on their locomotives, they would dissolve it. The company is an empire, they are all about large profits and growth, and will step on anything in it's path to do so. (I call them the evil empire) I'm sorry for such a long rant and I could stand a lot, but I had to speak up this time.

#296879  by MEC407

dave76 wrote:I bet all you GE "boys" on here would love to see EMD go under
Why do you say that?

Actually, I don't think you'll find very many EMD haters on this forum. As I said in a different thread, a healthy GE will keep EMD on its toes, and a healthy EMD will keep GE on its toes. Competition is good. It's in everybody's best interests for both companies to be successful, especially when there are basically only two vendors to choose from.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#298151  by trainiac

Actually, I don't think you'll find very many EMD haters on this forum. As I said in a different thread, a healthy GE will keep EMD on its toes, and a healthy EMD will keep GE on its toes. Competition is good. Its in everybody's best interests for both companies to be successful, especially when there are basically only two vendors to choose from.
Well-said, very well-said.

#314218  by FDL4ever

trainiax wrote:
EMD is really kicking butt, why earlier this year they actually got an order--4 whole units from FEC...Yep, the boy in Eire are running scared from the "new and improved" EMD.

Actually, FEC only needed one new unit. They ordered 4 because at any given time 3 of the EMD's would be broke down.
...Of course, UP's SD70M's really aren't smashing reliability records with 96% availability, are they? :wink:
I've been wondering where all the UP SD-70s have gone. About a year ago, I would see lots of them driving to and from work (Austin Texas, where the Mopac highway has a UP line- formerly Missouri-Pacific, hence the name of the highway- running between the northbound and southbound lanes for several miles). I kinda quit paying attention, but a few months ago I started noticing that if I saw *any* EMD power anymore, it was good old SD-40s and very few SD-70s. And I'm seeing a whole lot of C60ACs now, too, so I guess they finally got the reliability up on them. At any rate, the ratio of GE to EMD power going through Austin seems to have drastically shifted toward GE in the past year or two.

#314368  by es80ac

There are a bunch of UP sd70m running around Chicago.