Railroad Forums 

• RR Traffic in B'ham

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#294949  by steamal

Amtrak does not come through Birmingham, Alabama, very much in a single day. The southbound Crescent stops in Birmingham, takes on passengers, and continues southward. Later in the day, the northbound Crescent stops in Birmingham, takes on passengers, and continues northward. Both versions of the Crescent are the only Amtrak trains that pass through Birmingham. Would it be accurate to assume that there was a lot more rail passenger activity in Birmingham before A-day? (Perhaps I should research that question locally.)

#295118  by Lirr168

I'm not sure this is the best forum in which to have your question answered. I will leave it up for a few days in case anyone who visits this board knows and can help you out. However, I would recommend that give the Amtrak forum a try; I know there are several members who post there that know a lot about pre-Amtrak operations.

-Kyle

#308350  by hoborich

Louisville and Nashville used to run several passenger trains through Birmingham. The Gulf Wind, and the Pan American come to mind. Rode both coming home on leave from Biloxi, Mississippi. Also, the Hummingbird ran through Birmingham, enroute from Cincinnatti to New Orleans. There may have been a couple more.

#308439  by CarterB

Many, many local L&N and Southern trains ran to/thru B'ham. B'ham had two very nice Train stations L&N station and Terminal Station.

Thru trains included (but not limited to):

Amtrak: Floridian (early Amtrak try at Chgo-FL service)

Frisco: Kansas City - Florida Special until 1965
Sunnyland until 1965
Southland as of 1965

Southern: Birmingham Special (date unk)
Southerner (until A day)
(the original Crescent went via Montgomery not B'ham)

IC/CofG: Floridan (1930s40s?)
Sunchaser (40s-50s?)
Seminole (until A day)
City of Miami (until A day)

SAL: Silver Meteor (until 1969?)
Owl (1930s?)
Atlanta Special (1930s?)

L&N Pan American (until A day?)
Hummingbird (until A day)

PRR/L&N South Wind (until A day)

In 1929, Birmingham was served by 47 trains per day by 9 railroads
(Source:http://www.bhamrails.info/index.htm)

#308491  by Lirr168

Wow, I knew there was some value in leaving this thread open! Thanks for the input CarterB, that's great info.